| 8.2°C Dublin

Man (22) died after secret dose of pal's methadone

A man who secretly took his friend's methadone after a drinking session overdosed and died, an inquest heard.

Christian Hanrahan (22) from the Naas Road in Bluebell, was found dead in bed at his friend's flat last June 24, Dublin Coroner's Court heard yesterday.

His friend Christopher Byrne said the two men had been drinking at his flat at Davitt House in Drimnagh, when they were joined by an acquaintance of Mr Hanrahan's whom he did not know.

Mr Byrne, who is on the methadone programme, had hidden his bottle.

However, when he went to take his methadone the next morning, he could taste that it had been watered down.

He went into the bedroom to check on Mr Hanrahan and found him lying on the bed, cold to the touch.

HOURS

The other man was unconscious and could not be roused. Paramedics found that Mr Hanrahan had been dead several hours. The other man was taken to hospital for treatment.

The post-mortem revealed that Mr Hanrahan, who was not on a methadone programme, had a level of the drug in his system two and a half times the upper dose normally found in a regular user.

Noting that Mr Hanrahan's inquest was one of a number of methadone-related deaths before the court that day, coroner Dr Brian Farrell told the family that it was a drug that had to be carefully monitored.

It would have had a greater effect on Mr Hanrahan because he was not on the methadone programme, he said

He returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy