| 9.5°C Dublin

Knifeman drank milk after butchering mum and tots

A MAN drank a glass of milk after he murdered his ex-partner, their infant daughter, a three-year-old boy and another young woman.

John Geary (37) will be sentenced next month after he pleaded guilty to the murder of two women and two children at a house in Hazelgrove, Newcastle West, Co Limerick, on November 15, 2010.

Geary's ex-partner, Sarah Hines (25), their five-month-old daughter Amy, Amy's three-year-old brother Reece, and 20-year-old Alicia Brough suffered multiple stab wounds.

A range of kitchen implements was used in the killings.

After murdering all four, Geary of Meadow Court, Newcastle West, Co Limerick brought the two lifeless toddlers upstairs, placed their bodies on a bed and covered them with a duvet.

He then returned downstairs where the two murdered women lay and poured himself a glass of milk from the fridge.

Sarah Hines had ended her relationship with Geary and moved into new accommodation at Hazlegrove in the west Limerick town.

Geary had spent the previous Sunday night drinking vodka and beer in Flavin's pub in Church Street in the town. Alicia Brough, who lived in Rockchapel, Co Cork, left the house with Reece to go to a nearby shop.

Moments after they left, Geary and Ms Hines had a dispute over an Englishman, Chris Bradley, whom the mother was in contact with via Facebook and texts.


Geary subsequently attacked and murdered his former partner and their baby girl. Unaware of what lay in wait, Alicia and little Reece returned to the bloodbath.

Geary attacked them, stabbing them many times. Geary, who hurt his hand during the attack, walked to his rented home and got changed.

He then boarded an evening bus to Colbert Station in Limerick before travelling on to Kilkee.

He booked into the four-star Stella Maris hotel, where he was the only resident that night.

He spent the evening drinking in his room, and carried on drinking the next day while the four bodies remained undiscovered.

He finally rang a friend and confided that he had "done something terrible". Gardai were alerted.

He was arrested in the Central bar in Kilkee almost 36 hours after he committed the murders and has been in custody ever since. The case was brought before Mr Justice Paul Carney at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin yesterday for trial.

However, counsel for the accused, Hugh Hartnett, told Mr Justice Carney a jury would not be required.

Geary entered a plea of guilty on all four counts. Mr Justice Carney remanded Geary in custody until July 8. Sarah is survived by her mother, Abina and seven younger brothers. The family is originally from Essex.