| 3°C Dublin

Kinahan thug Chubb found guilty of pulling gun 'in fake drug deal'


Gareth Chubb was sentenced to six months in jail by the court

Gareth Chubb was sentenced to six months in jail by the court

Gareth Chubb was sentenced to six months in jail by the court

Kinahan cartel thug Gareth Chubb has been sentenced to six months in jail after he was convicted of pulling a loaded gun out in an Amsterdam cafe.

However, the convicted cocaine dealer was a no-show in a Dutch court yesterday to hear judges of the offence on February 5 this year.

He reportedly pulled the gun in revenge after being sold baking soda in a drug deal.

Chubb had been free to return to Ireland to await the outcome of his trial and was not obliged to attend yesterday, a court official confirmed.

His lawyer did attend at Amsterdam District Court.

The Dublin gangster had €3,071 in cash at the time of his arrest, it emerged, as the court ruled that his property - the money and a Gucci cap - be returned to him.


Chubb, said to be a close associate of the notorious Kinahan cartel, was cleared by the three-judge court of a charge of attempted manslaughter, due to insufficient evidence relating to the incident.

The intended victim, a Nigerian-Dutch national, told police that Chubb pointed a pistol, with a silencer attached, at him - and he heard the trigger of the Walther PKK click five times.

Judges decided that the noise the victim heard could have been from the gun's barrel or handle and not necessarily that of the trigger's release.

The gun had jammed during the botched shooting attempt and he ran for his life, the victim told the examining magistrate, according to court files.

It is believed that a row may have erupted over a fake drugs deal. Dutch media reported the motive as revenge, claiming that Chubb and three of his friends, who had been in Amsterdam partying for several days, were sold bread soda instead of cocaine by the victim.

CCTV footage showed Chubb (29), of Keeper Road, Drimnagh, pointing the gun, with a silencer attached, at his victim in the Smokey cafe.

During interrogation he admitted being in possession of the weapon.

The public prosecutor had demanded that Chubb be jailed for four years, citing "the terror he inflicted on his victim", who was "in a state of extreme shock" and "in fear of his life" when he fled the cafe and contacted police. According to witnesses, the victim was lucky to escape with his life.

Storming the bar, Dutch police discovered the Walther PKK and silencer, a Glock pistol and another pistol.

The location beside Rembrandtplein, one of the Dutch capital's main squares, was crowded with sightseers and people having a night out when Chubb "recklessly and nonchalantly" pulled a loaded gun, "gravely endangering public safety and public order", the Dutch prosecutor said.


After Chubb was sentenced to six months, less any time he had spent in pre-trial custody, a court spokesman said it was up to the prison authorities in the Netherlands to ensure that the sentence is served.

"He will be contacted via his lawyer and told he has to report to serve out his sentence, less the time he spent in pre-trial detention," the spokesman said.

"If he ignores that then he will have to go to jail on entering the Netherlands again, unless they decide to appeal this verdict and he is cleared by a higher court."

Chubb, believed to be a significant figure within the Kinahan cartel - which has been waging war against the Hutch gang - was a close friend of David Byrne, who was gunned down in the Regency Hotel attack on February 5, 2016.