| 18°C Dublin

'I heard the shots that killed Shane'


 Shane Geoghegan. Photo: PA

Shane Geoghegan. Photo: PA

Shane Geoghegan. Photo: PA

THE trial of a Limerick man charged with murdering rugby player Shane Geoghegan (right) resumed yesterday at the Special Criminal Court.

John Dundon (30), of Hyde Road, Limerick, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of 28-year-old Shane Geoghegan at Clonmore, Kilteragh, Dooradoyle, Limerick, on November 9, 2008.

It's the prosecution case that the Garryowen player was the unintended victim of a shooting meant for another man. It alleges that Mr Dundon ordered the killing of the actual target, who lived near the deceased.

Mr Geoghegan's girlfriend, Jenna Barry, testified that she last heard from him at 12.53am on November 9, when he texted her to say he was on his way home.



The court had heard that he was in a friend's house across a green area from the home he shared with Ms Barry.

She said that she tried calling him and texted him when he didn't arrive home.

She said she then heard two loud bangs outside. She saw a young man with his hood up running towards a dark car. She said the engine was running, the man jumped in and somebody screamed: 'Drive, drive'.

"I sent Shane a text just after one o'clock saying: 'I think there's been a shooting up the road'," she explained.

The three-judge, non-jury court also heard from State Pathologist Professor Marie Cassidy, who carried out a post-mortem examination on Mr Geoghegan's body.

She said she found five gun-shot wounds to his head and trunk, which had injured his brain and right lung.

She said there was a small hole to the back of his head, from where a bullet had tracked forward before lodging in his eye socket. There was also a wound to the back of his left shoulder. There was another wound to the right of his back and a bullet had entered his right upper arm. Another bullet had injured his bowel and bruised his liver.

She concluded that death was due to gunshot injuries to his head and trunk.

Presiding judge Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns adjourned the trial to today.