| 12.1°C Dublin

Graham Dwyer trial: Sister of accused says she knows nothing of 083 mobile number


Graham Dwyer

Graham Dwyer

Graham Dwyer (left) and Elaine O'Hara

Graham Dwyer (left) and Elaine O'Hara

 Elaine O'Hara

Elaine O'Hara


Graham Dwyer

GRAHAM Dwyer’s sister has told the Central Criminal Court she knew nothing about an 083- mobile phone number garda questioned her about.

Asked about birthday and anniversary cards Mr Dwyer sent to her and her family to her home in Tipperary, Mandy Wroblewski said sometimes, the address would be misspelled.

She was called by the prosecution to give evidence in her brother’s trial this morning.

Mr Dwyer (42), of Kerrymount Close, Foxrock, is pleading not guilty to the murder of Ms O’Hara (36) at Killakee, Rathfarnham on August 22, 2012.

Ms O’Hara, a childcare assistant from Killiney, was last seen alive near Shanganagh Cemetery in Shankill that day.

Her remains were found by a dog walker in undergrowth in the Dublin mountains on September 13, 2013.

The prosecution maintains Mr Dwyer killed her for his own sexual gratification.

Ms Wroblewski agreed with Sean Guerin SC, for the prosecution, that her maiden name was Dwyer and she was Graham Dwyer’s sister.

Mr Guerin put it to her that gardai had asked her about a phone number, 083 1103474. He asked her if she knew anything about this number.

“No,” she replied.

Ms Wrobkewski then wrote down her address at Mr Guerin’s request and it was handed up to Mr Justice Tony Hunt.

Mr Guerin asked her if it would have been common for her to receive communication by post from Mr Dwyer and his family.

“Birthday cards, anniversary cards,” she replied, saying they were either to herself or her husband and children.

He asked if the addresses on the envelopes would be correct.

“Sometimes the "4" could be missing, there could be misspellings,” she replied.

The misspellings would be mostly her surname or part of it, she said.

Mr Guerin asked if the reference to Oak Park was always correct.

“I don’t recall, I would normally shred up or tear the envelopes, I would keep the stamps if they were interesting,” she said.

She did not recall any particular errors in relation to the first line of the address.

Mr Guerin then referred to Ms Wroblewski’s garda statement on October 31, 2013. He said she had told gardai that the first part of the address might simply be “Oak”, or “Oak Lawn”.

“If that is in my statement,” she replied.

Reading over her statement in court, she said she recalled reading the transcipt and there were errors in the typed version.

Mr Guerin said in her statement, in relation to birthday cards, she told gardai: “Sometimes it would be 4 Oak, or 4 Oak Lawn.”

“That is correct,” she said.

She said she spelled the location as “Clerihan” and never spelled it as “Clar” She agreed that the address would include sometimes, but not always Clonmel.

“To be fair, although those errors appeared on the envelopes, I don’t think you were able to say who addressed the envelopes as Mr Dwyer’s and his wife’s writing were kind of similar,” Mr Guerin said.

She said the mobile number she had for her brother was 0872100407 and she had his landline in her house phone.

She did not remember off hand what kind of phone he had and the only one she remembered was a HTC.

She did not remember a Nokia phone.

Ms Wroblewski remained in the witness box in the packed court room for less than 15 minutes.

Under cross examination Ms Wroblewski agreed with Remy Farrell SC, who is defending Mr Dwyer, that only some cards were sent to the family home by post while other correspondence from the Dwyer household was through mobile or email.

“No, not through the post,” she replied.

Mr Farrell also asked Ms Wroblewski if her statement had been a result of questions being asked by gardai.

“Yes,” she said.

She again agreed that her bother’s handwriting was similar to his wife, Gemma.

When asked about what locals call the village of Ballyclerihan, she replied that when driving in to the village a sign says “Ballyclerihan” while another at the other end of the town says “Clerihan”.

Garda John Healy confirmed in the court that he took the statement from Ms Wroblewski.

The trial also heard from Inspector Pat Morrisey, of the Garda Telecommunication Section, who forensically extracted user generated information from a sim card being examined as part of the investigation.

He agreed the sim “was in poor shape” having been exposed to the elements, but he was able to connect it to his computer with a sim card reader and cable and was able to produce a report on its contents.

“The sergeant (Niall Duffy) asked me could I perform an examination of the sim card because it was in poor quality,” he said.

Insp Morrisey told Mr Guerin that using specialist software he examined the device, and emailed his report to Garda Niamh Cronin in Blackrock Garda Station on October 9, 2013.

Under cross examination, he told Mr Farrell that sim cards are usually clean and gold plated.

“But this was tainted and exposed to the elements,” he said.

Dr Stephen Doak, of the Forensic Science Laboratory, said he received a Nokia mobile in sealed tamper evidence bag.

“The phone was wet and covered in mud staining,” he said.

“I opened up the back of the mobile phone and I retrieved the Sim card which I then cleaned. I dried it with tissue paper and put the two items which I separated in to a warm incubator.”

He later passed the items on to Sgt Niall Duffy.

Sgt Niall Duffy, also of the Garda Telecom Section, then gave evidence that he received a number of mobile phones that were seized during the inevstigation, forensically examined them, retrieved information and produced reports.

Sgt Duffy told prosecution barrister Sinead McGrath he received a Nokia phone at the Forensic Science Laboratory on September 18, 2013. It was covered in mud and severey water damaged. He said he removed the casing and circuit board and cleaned the device with solvent, water and a fibre brush.

He exposed the chips to clean them and the phone’s circuitry.

It contained a tarnished sim card, which he cleaned so it could be examined. He said 20 SMS messages, one user number and one contact were recovered and a report was produced.

Similar cleaning and forensic examination procedures were carried out on other devices.

The next device, received on September 26, 2013 was a Tom Tom Sat Nav. It was examined and two reports were produced; one with data recovered from it and another Google Earth report.

On September 27, 2013 he received an iPhone and iPhone 4S. For the first, he produced a report and an additional timeline report including “transactions” such as call logs and SMS. There was no sim card in it.

For the iPhone 4S, he produced a report and separate timeline report. This did have an O2 SIM card, for which he produced a separate report.

On October 7, 2013 he received another severely water damaged and muddy Nokia mobile phone. This had an O2 sim card, which he gave to Insp Morrissey for examination.

Also on that date, he received a Tesco sim card which he was unable to examine due to the extent of the water damage.

On October 17, Sgt Duffy received a HTC 1S mobile phone containing a Vodafone sim card which he examined and produced reports on.

On October 29, he produced two reports with extracted images and videos from the phone.

On November 5, 2013, he received and examined another HTC phone which contained a Vodafone sim card.

This phone also had a 4g memory card.

The trial is continuing today before Mr Justice Tony Hunt and a jury of seven men and five women.