| 15.5°C Dublin

Graham Dwyer Trial: Gardai showed Graham Dwyer's son stills of CCTV taken at Elaine O'Hara's apartment complex

GARDAI showed Graham Dwyer’s son stills of CCTV footage taken at Elaine O’Hara’s apartment complex “to see if he could identify anyone”, the Central Criminal Court heard.


Sennan McShea was shown the images and signed the backs of ones he was “most confident about”, a garda told the jury.

Detective Garda Paul Corcoran was giving evidence at the trial of Graham Dwyer today.

Mr Dwyer (42), of Kerrymount Close, Foxrock, is pleading not guilty to the murder of Ms O’Hara (36) at Killakee, Rathfarnham on August 22, 2012.

Ms O’Hara, a childcare assistant from Killiney, was last seen alive near Shanganagh Cemetery in Shankill.


Elaine O'Hara

Elaine O'Hara

Elaine O'Hara

Her remains were found by a dog walker in undergrowth in the Dublin mountains on September 13, 2013.

Det Gda Corcoran told the jury he took over the role of family liaison officer from September 18, 2013 and was also responsible for dealing with the continuity of exhibits.

Led through his evidence by barrister Anne Marie Lawlor, prosecuting, Det Gda Corcoran said on September 19, he received a box of photographs from Frank O’Hara, Ms O’Hara’s father. A crime scene officer took fingerprint lifts from these.

On September 20, he received a red journal from Mr O’Hara and on October 1, a box of keys and a single house key. On October 18, he received three phones from a woman – an HTC phone, a black Samsung and a silver Nokia.

On October 18, he showed a number of photo stills to Sennan McShea from the CCTV footage from Belarmine Plaza.

Ms Lawlor asked him what the purpose of this was.

“We were aware that Sennan McShea is the son of Mr Dwyer,” Det Gda Corcoran replied. “The purpose of showing them to him was to see could he identify anyone in the stills that were in the booklet.”

Asked if Sennan was shown a still so he could identify his father, Det Gda Corcoran replied: “He would have been shown all the stills in the booklet and he would have identified the ones he was most confident about.”

The court heard photographs of a blue hoodie and vest found by gardai was shown to her sister Ann Charles, her father and his partner Sheila Hawkins.

“They were in a position to say it was clothing that they were happy to say that she would have worn,” Det Gda Corcoran said.


He also agreed that he had received email correspondence with Ms O’Hara’s Montessori College and St Edmundsbury Hospital, where she was a patient. He also received her exam timetable.

The jury was yesterday shown CCTV footage which the prosecution claims shows the architect calling to Elaine O’Hara’s apartment complex nine times – including one visit which happened a week before she disappeared.Among the footage played back to the Central Criminal Court was a brief clip of Mr Dwyer and Ms O’Hara arriving together in the lobby of the building before taking the lift.

The footage from Belarmine Plaza, Stepaside was dated between January and August 2012 and was shown to the jury by Det Sgt Kevin Duggan.

It showed Mr Dwyer entering the lobby, taking either the lift or stairway up, and leaving after times ranging from a minute to just under an hour and 15 minutes.

Mr Dwyer, watched the video from a monitor in front of him while it was also played back on larger screens, visible to all in the court including Ms O’Hara’s father who sat in the public gallery.

The court today heard gardai were first able to spot Graham Dwyer on CCTV footage from her apartment complex eight days after her body was found.

Sgt Duggan, the CCTV co-ordinator said up to 11 officers were involved in analysing the footage and they first saw Mr Dwyer on it in September 21, 2013.

He was being cross-examined this morning by barrister Ronan Kennedy, for the defence.

The jury was shown footage of Ms O’Hara’s movements at her apartment complex at Belarmine Plaza, Stepaside on the day she disappeared.

This had been previously seen by jury.  In the video, her car was seen leaving the complex car park at 5.06pm.

Sgt Duggan agreed that a lot of people used the complex as there were 30 apartments and it was only noted whether other people were male or female. There were “hundreds if not thousands of entries” and no other descriptions were made. Mr Dwyer was spotted for the first time on the footage of June 23, 2012.


Sgt Duggan agreed they then “worked backward” to see if there were any further sightings of Mr Dwyer.

Among the footage played back to the Central Criminal Court was a brief clip of Mr Dwyer and Ms O’Hara arriving together in the lobby of building before taking the lift.

It showed Mr Dwyer entering the lobby, taking either the lift or stairway up, and leaving there between a minute and just under an hour and 15 minutes.

The footage also showed him carrying a red and black backpack, while the jury was shown at the same time a picture of a muddy red and black backpack recovered by gardai from Vartry reservoir, Co Wicklow.

The final clip of Mr Dwyer at Belarmine Plaza was taken on August 15, when he entered at 7pm carrying the backpack. Ms O’Hara returned home at 7.36pm and he left at 8.02pm carrying the bag.

The jury was shown a close-up of the backpack, as well as a photograph of a muddy black and red backpack which had been retrieved from Vartry reservoir in Co Wicklow. The trial continues.


Most Watched