| 16.1°C Dublin

Graham Dwyer Trial: Architect was working in office on day Elaine disappeared


Architect Graham Dwyer is accused of the murder of Elaine O’Hara  (inset), from Killiney, Co Dublin

Architect Graham Dwyer is accused of the murder of Elaine O’Hara (inset), from Killiney, Co Dublin

Architect Graham Dwyer is accused of the murder of Elaine O’Hara (inset), from Killiney, Co Dublin

ATTENDANCE records at Graham Dwyer’s workplace showed he was working in the office on the day Elaine O’Hara disappeared, the Central Criminal Court heard.

The jury was also told there was no evidence he had left work early that day - August 22, 2012.

However, the court heard there were some inconsistencies in the records covering other dates that Mr Dwyer had been working in 2011 and 2012.

Siobhan McEvitt, office manager at A&D Wejchert, Baggott Street Lower was being cross-examined by a barrister for the defence today.

Mr Dwyer (42), an architect of Kerrymount Close, Foxrock, is pleading not guilty to the murder of Ms O’Hara (36) at Killakee, Rathfarnham on August 22, 2012.

Ms O’Hara, a childcare assistant from Killiney, was last seen alive near Shanganagh Cemetery in Shankill that day.

Her remains were found by a dog walker in undergrowth in the Dublin mountains on September 13, 2013.

The prosecution maintains Mr Dwyer killed her for his own sexual gratification.

Ms McEvitt was led through her evidence by Sinead McGrath BL, for the prosecution.

She told the jury that on a number of dates, it was marked in attendance records that Mr Dwyer was at work but she could not verify that he was in the building on the days. On some dates, she told the court there was nothing in the records to say he was out of the office.

At one point there was an error in the records, when he was marked as being at a meeting in Poland on December 1 and 2, 2011. This was entered in error and he actually went on the trip the following week - December 8 and 9, 2011.

Holiday entries included a three-week holiday that he returned from on April 10, 2012. On June 22, records and an email showed he was at a conference on June 22, 2011.

In cross-examination, Ronan Kennedy BL, defending put it to Ms McEvitt that she could not vouch personally for anyone being on or out of the office on a particular day.

“You are relying on the accuracy of the records and sometimes there is a conflict in the records,” he said.

“Unless I spoke to them personally,” Ms McEvitt replied.

She told Mr Kennedy that records show Mr Dwyer was working in the office the day Ms O’Hara disappeared.

Mr Kennedy queried attendance records and monthly time sheets for the weeks ending August 19 2012 and August 26 2012.

“Yes he appears to have worked a normal week according to these records,” Ms McEvitt said.

Mr Kennedy asked specifically about August 22, 2012, the day the prosecution claims he murdered Ms O’Hara.

“According to records he started work at 8.30am and worked a normal eight hour day,” she said.

“It looks like he worked a normal day both those weeks.”

She agreed there was no record of him leaving the office early either on August 22 or 23 2012.

Ms McEvitt also told Mr Justice Tony Hunt that each employee was emailed blank timesheets and each had a role in filling them in and returning them to her.

Previously, the court heard a knife was delivered to Mr Dwyer’s workplace the day before Ms O’Hara disappeared.

Records showed it was ordered online in Mr Dwyer’s name, and brought by courier to his office marked “private and confidential” on August 21, 2012.

Gardai went on to find a hunting knife and a flick knife among files in the architectural firm's basement in early 2014- after Mr Dwyer sent them a map directing them to it.

Detective Sergeant Peter Woods said he found two knives in a file box in the basement of architect Graham Dwyer's workplace after the accused volunteered the information to gardai through his solicitor on February 17, 2014.