| 9.8°C Dublin

Garda kicked repeatedly by driver, jury told

A GARDA who claims he was kicked in the groin repeatedly by a bus driver suffered from erectile dysfunction after the incident, a jury has heard.

Sergeant Neil Crowley had told Dublin Circuit Criminal Court that the bus driver was like "a man possessed" when he was pulled over for blocking traffic.

A witness reported hearing a "sickening thud" as the garda was allegedly pushed from the bus and knocked unconscious.

Sgt Crowley said he was out of work for three months after the incident because of his injuries.

Patrick Fitzpatrick (63) denies assaulting the garda and claims he was the one who was attacked. Fitzpatrick of Drumree, Dunshaughlin, pleaded not guilty to assaulting Sgt Crowley at Blackhall Place, Dublin 8 on July 7, 2007.

Sgt Crowley's GP, Dr David Lombard, told the court that the garda suffered a soft tissue injury to his testicle and also complained of lower back pain which was treated with an anti-inflammatory.

Dr Lombard told prosecuting counsel Cormac Quinn that during a follow-up appointment, Sgt Crowley complained of erectile dysfunction because of the alleged attack.

The doctor said he didn't believe it was related but made an appointment for Sgt Crowley to see a specialist. He said the garda did not follow up on the complaint.

Dr Lombard said Sgt Crowley made a full recovery shortly after the incident. He agreed with Caroline Biggs, defending, that the injury to the testicle was "very minor".


He also agreed that such an injury could be caused by an inanimate object such as a football or bicycle crossbar.

Dr Lombard said there was no record of Sgt Crowley suffering a back injury before the incident.

The sergeant had previously given evidence that the alleged attack had aggravated an existing back injury.

The jury heard from Sgt Brian Lyons that during interview the accused said the garda fell back while trying to arrest him and then claimed he'd been assaulted.

Mr Fitzpatrick said Sgt Crowley then "assaulted me big time". He said he was beaten around the shoulders and only lifted his hands to protect himself.

He told gardai that Sgt Crowley then stumbled off the bus and fell on the footpath.

Mr Fitzpatrick said in interview that he never left the driver's seat during the incident and asked how he could have kicked Sgt Crowley when the steering wheel was in the way.

The trial continues.