| 10.4°C Dublin

Garda Donohoe murder accused was on bail and curfew at time of killing


Aaron Brady has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe

Aaron Brady has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe

Aaron Brady has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe

The man accused of murdering Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe was under curfew and on bail facing charges at the time of the fatal shooting, a court has heard.

The jury in the trial of Aaron Brady (29), who denies murder, yesterday heard evidence of a voluntary statement he gave to gardai 11 days after the killing.

Garda Inspector Mark Phillips, who was then a detective sergeant with the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation at Harcourt Square in Dublin, said that a team had been sent to Dundalk to assist the garda inquiry.

He agreed with Brendan Grehan SC, prosecuting, that Mr Brady had arrived at Dundalk Garda Station on February 5, 2013, with a solicitor to make a voluntary statement.

Insp Phillips also agreed with counsel that Mr Brady was not under arrest and at that stage was not a suspect.

The statement was then read out by Mr Grehan to the Central Criminal Court jury.

The accused told gardai he had a curfew for around 9pm as part of conditions related to criminal damage and dangerous driving charges he was facing at Dundalk Circuit Court.

In his statement, Mr Brady said that when he was 18 or 19 he moved to Australia for four months and later went to the US around the time he turned 20.

While there, he worked in Boston with one of his best friends, a man he had known from school, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

Mr Brady told gardai that when he returned home after three months he worked with his father, Tony Brady, who had an advertising business.

The accused, the court heard, told gardai that he was trying to get money together to pay off compensation in relation to the criminal damage incident.

He said he had "€3,000 bail up" and hoped to get €1,000 or €2,000 extra.

After he finished working with his father, the jury heard, he went on the dole.

He also said that he got a claim of around £4,000 from a car accident in Newry, and that he "lived off that".

The court heard that at around 2.30am on January 25, Mr Brady said he and his friend went to collect his then 17-year-old girlfriend from a nightclub in Dundalk.

In this statement, he said that he had a fight with her because "she was wearing some fella's" hat when she came out of the nightclub.

Mr Brady said he then spent the night at a house in Bellurgan with the friend, who he had also worked with in Boston, and they woke up after midday.

Mr Brady and this individual then travelled to Tullydonnell at 1pm where they collected another man, who also cannot be identified for legal reasons, the court heard.


He said they got food along the Carrickmacross to Castleblayney Road and travelled to a closed filling station in Cullaville, Co Armagh, at around 2pm, where they were deciding what they would do for the day.

Mr Brady (29), of New Road in Crossmaglen, Co Armagh, has pleaded not guilty to the capital murder of on-duty Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe, at Lordship Credit Union in Bellurgan, Co Louth, on January 25, 2013.

He has also denied the robbery of around €7,000 in cash and assorted cheques from Pat Bellew at the same location on the same date.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Michael White.