| 12.9°C Dublin

Gangland killer fired five shots at mobster Wynne


Murder victim Karl Wynne

Murder victim Karl Wynne

Murder victim Karl Wynne

A gunman on a motorbike fired five shots at mobster Karl Wynne as he was standing at a busy roundabout in Tallaght.

Wynne (45), of Russell Avenue, Tallaght, Dublin 24, sustained gunshot wounds to the head, neck and abdomen after he was shot by a pillion passenger on a motorbike in May 2013.

Dublin Coroner's Court heard that the gunman dismounted the motorbike and stood over the man lying on the footpath to fire two more shots from a semi-automatic pistol.

Wynne died on July 19, 2013, two months after he was shot.

Wynne, a convicted armed robber, had been previously arrested in connection with the non-fatal shooting of well-known bodybuilder Sean Enright at a Cabra gym, but was released without charge after being questioned for five days.

It is believed that he was then murdered because of his involvement in the botched hit.

Wynne was dubbed the 'Loan Ranger' when he was jailed for seven years in 1999 for holding up the EBS building society in Cork, and making off in a taxi.

At the time of his death, he had been charged with a number of other robberies, including a hair salon and pharmacy.

Father-of-one Wynne left his partner, Lorraine Lynch, and their son to meet someone on May 30, 2013.


Ms Lynch, who broke down in tears as she entered the witness box, said he talked on the phone with someone she felt he knew before leaving the house.

Witness James Reid saw the shooting in his rear-view mirror as he passed St Dominic's Shopping Centre in Tallaght.

"I saw a black motorbike with two men. The driver was crouched down and didn't move. The second guy had his arm out, pointed at a man standing on the footpath. I heard two shots," he said.

The motorbike sped off in the direction of the Tallaght by-pass so fast that the passenger was almost thrown from the bike as it passed over a speed bump, Mr Reid said.

Ballistics specialist, Det Garda Seamus O'Donnell found five shots had been discharged from a semi-automatic pistol. Neither the weapon nor the motorbike have been recovered, Det Insp John Walsh told the court.

Some 100 statements were taken by gardai and a file was submitted to the Director of Public Prosecutions, but no charges were brought due to insufficient evidence.

Mr Wynne spent 50 days in the intensive care unit of Tallaght hospital but was responsive and could speak to his partner. The cause of death was bronchial pneumonia due to gunshot wounds to the head and neck with wounds to the abdomen as a contributory factor.

The jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing.