| 16.7°C Dublin

Gang tied up and robbed woman in home raid terror

A MAN who was shot and beaten as part of a deadly Dublin inner city feud has been jailed for four years for his part in a robbery.

Darren Doody (42) was part of a gang of four masked men who tied up a woman with a phone charger cable before ransacking her Kildare home for money.

Doody, of Oriel Street, Dublin 1, had pleaded not guilty to falsely imprisoning the victim at Rochford Park in Kill on October 29, 2006. He was found guilty after a three-day trial.

Retired Detective Sergeant Walter O'Connell told Bernard Condon, defending, that Doody was shot in 2010 as part of a feud in the Sheriff Street area of Dublin city that has claimed six lives to date.


Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard that Doody was related to the complainant in a rape trial which is at the centre of the feud. Doody and members of his family have been beaten and threatened, and shots have been fired at their homes.

The court heard yesterday how the robbery victim was getting ready to go out when she heard people running up the stairs.

Four men wearing balaclavas and scarves came into her room and she was either forced to the floor or fell down. She said they were looking for money and "turned the place upside down" and overturned the couches.

One man, armed with a screwdriver, stayed with her for most of the time while the others came in and out of the room.

During the trial the victim told Tara Burns, prosecuting, that the men reassured her they were just there to rob and that she would be okay.

The men bound her hands with the cord of a phone charger and tied her legs with a pair of pyjama bottoms as well as putting a shirt over her head. After they fled she got herself free and called her boyfriend and the gardai.

The court heard that the victim suffered from flashbacks and nightmares for several years after the robbery.

Mr Condon said his client, who has 16 previous convictions, has had no criminal convictions since this incident and was living in under self-imposed house arrest because of the feud.

Judge Patrick McCartan said the crime had a damaging impact on the personal life of the victim and that she was obliged to relive the events during the trial six years later. He imposed a sentence of seven years but suspended the last three years because of the delay in bringing the matter to trial.

Ms Burns told Judge McCartan that this case took so long to go to trial for a number of reasons including the misplacing of exhibits on two occasions.

On another occasion it was judged that an article printed in a Sunday newspaper was prejudicial against Doody and the trial was adjourned.


Mr Condon described how, on one occasion, Doody broke his arm after jumping over a wall to flee what he thought were gunshots but turned out to be children's firecrackers.

Det Sgt O'Connell said Doody was terrified of going to prison because a number of people who he had been feuding with were already in prison.

The victim told the trial that she lived in the house with her then boyfriend who was in Spain at the time.

She told Ms Burns that she was in her bedroom when she heard people running up the stairs.

She told them she kept money in her jewellery box but one of the men replied that wasn't the money they were looking for. She then told them about another stash of money in a wardrobe.