| 4.3°C Dublin

Gang enforcer denies having phone in prison


Scott Capper is serving a sentence in Mountjoy for assault

Scott Capper is serving a sentence in Mountjoy for assault

Scott Capper is serving a sentence in Mountjoy for assault

A Dublin crime gang enforcer who was jailed for two vicious assaults has denied unlawfully having a mobile phone in prison.

Scott Capper (26), who is serving a three-and-a-half-year sentence for injuring two men in separate pub attacks, has pleaded not guilty to possession of a phone in Mountjoy.

Judge Bryan Smyth adjourned the case for hearing on a later date at Dublin District Court.

Capper, of Cappagh Green, Finglas, is considered to be a right-hand man of a local drugs gang boss nicknamed Mr Flashy.

He is alleged to have had the phone on February 20 and was first charged in July.


When the case came back before Judge Smyth, the court heard Capper was seeking a date for hearing.

Judge Smyth adjourned the case to next month.

Previously, a prosecuting garda said that when he arrested the accused, he made no reply to the charge after caution.

He was handed a copy of the charge sheet.

The officer said the DPP had directed summary disposal of the case at district court level.

Disclosure of prosecution statements was ordered by a judge.

At the time of his July court appearance, defence solicitor Michele Finan said bail had to be fixed because it was a new charge and there was no garda objection.

"He's in Mountjoy at the moment," she said.

The judge asked: "Is he there for the foreseeable future?"

Ms Finan replied said he was.

Bail was set in Capper's own bond of €50, with no cash lodgment or conditions required.

He was also granted free legal aid.

Capper was jailed at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court in July last year.

He pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Jaroslaw Gaska at The Morgan Hotel, Fleet Street, Temple Bar, on August 8, 2016, and assault causing harm to Nevil Picton at Sin nightclub, Temple Bar, on October 2, 2016.

The court heard at the time that Capper punched Mr Gaska in the face, breaking his jaw, when the man touched Capper's girlfriend's hair after admiring it and telling her it was lovely.

Two months later, Capper punched Mr Picton "in an uppercut fashion" in an unprovoked assault.

Before that, Capper's most serious criminal conviction was for his role in a major violent disorder incident in Cardiffsbridge Road, Finglas, on October 19, 2017.