| 12.3°C Dublin

Gang boss jailed over birthday card cash thefts

Notorious criminal Goulding, of Whitechapel Grove, Clonsilla, pleaded guilty to two burglaries at Ardilaun Court in Portmarnock on March 10, 2005.

Goulding has 20 previous convictions for offences including intimidation of a witness, assault and road traffic offences.

Garda Shane McGrath told Dublin Circuit Criminal court that two houses were broken into on the night. In the first house a television and stereo system were taken.

In the second house €190 cash was taken from birthday cards. Dunnes Stores vouchers were also taken as well as a mobile phone and various tools.


Gardai had been alerted and spotted a man coming from a garden who ran after looking in their direction. There was also a second man in the garden, Goulding, who was chased and arrested by gardai.

The TV, stereo system, and tools were recovered nearby.

When Goulding was searched at the garda station €190 cash and Dunnes Stores vouchers were found on him.

Judge Patricia Ryan had adjourned the case last month after hearing evidence to allow a probation and welfare report be prepared. This report was not ready for yesterday's hearing but Goulding insisted that the case be finalised.

Judge Ryan said she had taken into account the seriousness of the burglaries, the fact that bench warrants had been issued for him previously and the fact he has a significant number of previous convictions.

She accepted that Goulding has made efforts to rehabilitate before she suspended the final 18 months of the sentence on strict conditions.

Garda McGrath agreed with Conor Devalley, defending, that Goulding had offered gardai the keys to his car after being apprehended.

Mr Devalley said Goulding had spent some time out of the jurisdiction before returning to Ireland where he was treated for injuries and came to the attention of gardai.

He has spent almost a year in custody. He said Goulding was a married father of one who now has a lot to live for.

Last January, Goulding escaped with his life after he was blasted six times at close range as he sat in a car in Hartstown on January 26 last.

Despite being hit six times, he escaped serious injury.

Just 48 hours after the botched assassination attempt, Goulding left James Connolly Memorial Hospital where he was being treated, prompting an increase in armed garda patrols in West Dublin.

Gardai were probing whether Goulding was targeted by former associates in the failed hit, which had raised gangland tensions in west Dublin.

Some of the criminal's henchmen were expected to take revenge for the shooting, which was linked to at least two shooting incidents last year.

Sources say that there has been a "bitter falling out" among members of the west Dublin crew to which Goulding was linked.

After he left hospital, Goulding spent almost a fortnight on the run.


Gardai had been due to execute a bench warrant that existed for a number of years in relation to the Portmarnock burglaries when Goulding managed to leave the hospital.

However, Goulding -- who was linked to slain crimelords Eamon 'The Don' Dunne and Michael 'Micka' Kelly -- was arrested on February 16 and has since been in custody at Cloverhill Prison.

Goulding was a member of the notorious Westies mob, who terrorised parts of west Dublin in the late 1990s.