| 14.9°C Dublin

Family tells of Tiger raid terror as trial begins

Two men have gone on trial accused of robbing €2.28m in a Tiger kidnapping six years ago in which the family of a cash-in-transit van driver was held hostage by armed men.

David Byrne (39), of Old Brazeel Way, Knocksedan, Swords, Co Dublin, and Niall Byrne (29), of Crumlin Road Flats, Crumlin Rd, Dublin, have both pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to falsely imprisoning the Richardson family at Ashcroft, Raheny, north Dublin, on March 13 and 14, 2005 and one count of robbery.

They have also pleaded not guilty to robbing Paul Richardson and Securicor of €2,280,000.


Both men are alleged to have been members of a gang that held Mr Richardson, a Securicor worker, and his family hostage as part of a raid in March 2005.

On the opening day of the trial Marie Richardson told Dominic McGinn, prosecuting, that on Sunday, March 14, 2005 a gang of men burst into her home in Ashcroft, Raheny.

She described how the kidnappers put her and her two sons, aged 17 and 13 at the time, on to the floor of the back of a van and drove them into Cloon Wood in Co Wicklow where they were held overnight.

She told the court that the gang tied their arms and ankles with cable ties and left them in the woods but they broke the ties and raised the alarm.

Mr McGinn told the jury that it would hear evidence that the two played a central role as part of a large team involved in a well-planned operation.

He said that while Mrs Richardson and her sons were being held in the mountains, Paul Richardson was told to go to work as normal and collect a van "loaded with cash".

He was given a Polaroid photograph the raiders had taken of the family flanked by armed men which he was to show to his co-workers to convince them to go along with their plan.

The raiders instructed him to drive the van west out of the city and to drop the cash in the car park of the Angler's Rest pub in Lucan. Mr Richardson had been told to continue driving west out of the city until he received a phone call to say his family had been freed.

When this call never came Mr Richardson became extremely anxious and began to get chest pains. His colleagues decided then to stop the van and raise the alarm.

Mr McGinn said in the meantime Mr Richardson's family had also raised the alarm after freeing themselves using a penknife belonging to their son.

The €2.28m had already been picked up by the raiders

More than 200 witnesses are expected to be called during the trial, which is due to last six to eight weeks. The trial continues.