| 9°C Dublin

Family describes 'heinous and inhumane' tiger kidnapping


Victim Paul Richardson

Victim Paul Richardson

Victim Paul Richardson

A Securicor worker who was the victim of what he described as a "heinous and inhumane" tiger kidnapping has said it was committed for "one reason only, greed".

In May, Niall Byrne (36), Mark Farrelly (47), Christopher Corcoran (71) and David Byrne (45) were convicted by a Dublin Circuit Criminal Court jury for their various roles in the €2.08m cash-in-transit van robbery, during which Paul Richardson's family home was raided and he and his family were threatened at gunpoint.

The gang forced Mr Richardson to go to work the next day, while his wife Marie and their teenage sons Ian and Kevin were held at gunpoint in the Dublin mountains until he had delivered the cash to a car park.

Niall Byrne, of Crumlin Road Flats, Dublin; Farrelly, of Moatview Court, Priorswood, Coolock; Corcoran, of Rosedale, Raheny; and David Byrne, of Old Brazil Way, Knocksedan, Swords, had all pleaded not guilty to robbing Mr Richardson and Securicor of €2.08m on March 14, 2005, and to the false imprisonment of the Richardson family at their home at Ashcroft, Raheny on March 13 and 14, 2005.

Niall Byrne was convicted of conspiracy to robbery. The jury was unable to reach a majority verdict in relation to a charge of kidnapping against him.


A jury convicted Farrelly, Corcoran and David Byrne of robbery and false imprisonment of the four Richardsons.

Following a sentence hearing yesterday, Judge Melanie Greally remanded the men in continuing custody until July 16 for sentencing.

In his victim impact report, Mr Richardson said: "I lost a part of my life that night and I will never get it back."

He said he and his family were terrorised and instead of being "in our home safe and warm" they were brought out "in the darkest of night and held against their will".

The raiders had "no regard for the damage they caused", he said, and the crime was "committed for one thing and one thing only, greed".

Marie, Ian and Kevin Richardson also described how the kidnapping affected their lives.

Marie said that the home they had made "for ourselves and our boys" was destroyed that night.

"I had to push the family along. It was very hard being strong for everyone," Mrs Richardson said.

Kevin Richardson, who was 13 when his home was raided, said that afterwards he would wake up shouting in his sleep.

Ian Richardson's statement said the look of fear in the eyes of his father, mother and brother would never leave him.