| -2.2°C Dublin

Ex-private school boy hit teen with a baton

A FORMER Blackrock College student who assaulted a teenager and smashed a bus shelter with a steel baton has been given a suspended sentence at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Ryon Fitzpatrick (20) of Cookstown Road, Enniskerry, Co Wicklow pleaded guilty to assault, production of a weapon and criminal damage at a bus stop on the Stillorgan Road on October 26, 2009.

Garda James Coyle told Dara Hayes, prosecuting, that shortly before midnight a teenager was brought to the garda station by a taxi driver.

Garda Coyle said that the teenager told him that he had been assaulted at a bus shelter opposite Foxrock Church on the Stillorgan Road.

The teenager told gardai that as he and a friend approached the bus stop shortly before 11.30pm, they could see three men already standing there.

The teenager said that he recognised one of the three men as Ryon Fitzpatrick. He said that Fitzpatrick produced a steel extendible baton, pushed it in to his chest and told him to sit down.

Both Fitzpatrick and the other men then told the two teenagers that they should "know their place" before smashing the glass of the bus shelter with the baton.

When the teenager stood up to protest at the treatment of his friend, Fitzpatrick began hitting him with the baton.


The assault was only halted when a girl appeared and ushered Fitzpatrick and the other two men into a taxi.

In the course of his garda interview, Fitzpatrick claimed that he had been carrying the baton as part of a Hallowe'en costume and admitted hitting the teenager but only in the course of an altercation.

Garda Coyle agreed with John Fitzgerald, defending, that Fitzpatrick, a former Blackrock College student co-operated with the garda investigation, made full admissions and apologised to his victim.

He agreed that the victim had suffered no physical or physiological effects and that the assault was not the most serious offence to come before the Circuit Court.

Mr Fitzgerald told the court that Fitzpatrick was a very young man at the time of the assault and that he had some difficulties with alcohol and cocaine abuse in the past but that he had since secured a steady job.

Judge Martin Nolan said that Fitzpatrick committed a very serious offence that must have been very frightening for his victim. And it could have been much worse were it not for the intervention by the passing girl.

Judge Nolan said that it appeared that Fitzpatrick had pulled his life together in the aftermath of the offence. He imposed a four-month sentence which he suspended entirely.