| 10.5°C Dublin

Dublin Castle guard jumped on colleague and hit him in face


Griffith O’Keefe leaving court

Griffith O’Keefe leaving court

Griffith O’Keefe leaving court

A Dublin Castle security guard who "lost control" and jumped on a colleague before repeatedly hitting him in the face in a workplace attack will be sentenced in April.

Griffith O'Keefe (46), of St Patrick's Avenue, North Strand, Dublin 3, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Office of Public Works employee Noel Redmond at Dublin Castle on February 27, 2018.

Father-of-two O'Keefe, who has been a security guard for 20 years, lost his job as a result of the incident.

Judge Dermot Simms said yesterday that the court was concerned at the seriousness of the assault.

He was furnished with a probation report and adjourned sentencing to allow the defendant time to complete a restorative justice services programme.

Dublin District Court heard Mr Redmond arrived at work and tried to get access to the control room with a swipe card.

However, he could not get in and believed the accused had deliberately kept the door locked.

After three or four minutes O'Keefe took the lock off, Judge Simms was told.

Mr Redmond went to his locker to take out some toiletries for the shower and spoke to O'Keefe.

During an exchange between the pair, Mr Redmond told O'Keefe there would be a change in relation to his shift.

Mr Redmond then turned to go down a set of stairs when O'Keefe jumped on him and "straddled" him, before hitting him six or seven times to his head and face.

During the attack he shouted: "You'll not be getting on this f**king unit." He then jumped off Mr Redmond before heading to the canteen.

A victim impact statement and medical reports were handed in to court.

Mr Redmond said he had no hard feelings against O'Keefe but he had been left out of pocket as a result of dental work.


O'Keefe had no prior convictions and had not come to attention since.

Pleading for leniency, his solicitor referred to the early guilty plea and that he accepted it was a very serious offence.

He had no excuse and "lost control" and was very sorry.

A medical report was furnished that referred to a condition O'Keefe suffered from, which leads to some outbursts of anger.

O'Keefe had also apologised in writing to Mr Redmond, the court heard.