| 10.4°C Dublin

Doctors can't explain why teen died of heart attack

DOCTORS are unable to explain why a 17-year-old boy had a massive heart attack and died after attending a pre-debs social night.

No drugs or alcohol were found in Kaelem Hainsworth's system following his death and there was no evidence of heart disease.

Pathologist Dr Aoife Maguire told Dublin Coroner's Court that the cause of his heart attack remains unclear. The teen from Newtownpark Avenue in Blackrock, Co Dublin, was found collapsed in his friend's house on November 18, 2012.

He had been at a pre-debs event attended by students of Oatlands College, Stillorgan and Our Lady's Grove, Goatstown, in the Old Darnley Lodge Hotel in Athboy the night before his death.


His friend Eoin Holohan told the court that double-decker buses took the students to the venue from Nutgrove Shopping Centre at 9.30pm.

Kaelem had two cans of Heineken on the way, the court heard. He said that there were other lads on the bus with bags containing blue pills and a powder he believed to be cocaine.

"Kaelem was with me all the way up on the bus and he didn't take anything and we were not offered anything," he said.

In a deposition read out in court, another friend Canbran Grenier described seeing another boy on the bus snorting drugs using a €20 note.

At the nightclub, Kaelem was drinking bottles of Heineken and one of his friends bought a round of shots. He was dancing, Mr Holohan said, but not to excess.

Lily Higgins, who spoke to him in the club and sat beside him on the bus home, said that he did not seem drunk.

Mr Holohan said that as they walked to his house, Kaelem was complaining that he had a pain in his chest and arm. When they got home, he said the pain was severe and asked for a Panadol.

He gave him a vitamin tablet in the hope that it would put him at ease, he said, but as he went to sleep he heard him saying that it was not working.

When he woke up he saw Kaelem gurgling, shaking and having a fit. He called for help and CPR was carried out until paramedics arrived. Kaelem was taken to St Vincent's Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Dr Maguire said that he died as a result of a massive heart attack, which involved both chambers of the heart. This is very unusual, she said. The initial event happened at least 12 hours before his death, she said.

There was no heart disease, no viral infection of the heart and no reason to suspect an inherited condition. A toxicology screen tested for more than 100 substances and came back negative.

The cause of the heart attack remains unclear, she said.

The inquest was adjourned until January 27.