| 17.1°C Dublin

Dealer in threat to kill garda's children

A MAN threatened to kill a garda and her children and told another officer he was going to infect her with hepatitis hours after his aunt's funeral.

Stephen Doyle (40) issued the "vicious" threats when he became violent as the two gardai came to investigate a dispute he was having with his brother following his aunt's funeral.

The father-of-three also said he would follow the two gardai home and burn their houses down after they found him with more than €700 worth of cannabis.


Doyle had the case against him adjourned at Blanchardstown District Court when he admitted charges of threatening to kill one of the garda, and supply of drugs.

The accused, of Greenfort Crescent, Clondalkin, pleaded guilty to threatening to kill or cause serious harm to one of the officers, Garda Susanna McGrath.

He also admitted possession of cannabis with intent to supply at St Mark's Avenue, Ronanstown.

Sgt Maria O'Callaghan said the incident happened at the accused's mother's house at 1.30am on October 23, 2012.

Gardai Joan Sheridan and Susanna McGrath were called to a reported domestic dispute and found Doyle in a highly intoxicated state.

He became more aggressive and attempted to headbutt Garda Sheridan before he was arrested.

In the car, he tried to harm himself by banging his head on the passenger window. His mother witnessed this and Garda Sheridan opened the door to prevent it.

The defendant had four previous convictions including aggravated burglary but they dated from the 1990s.

Doyle had not been in trouble for a "very very long time", his barrister Jennifer Jackson said.

He had been drinking all day at his mother's house following his aunt's funeral when a dispute arose between him and his brother.

When the gardai arrived, he "lashed out". He knew his behaviour was appalling and was prepared to carry out community service.

But Judge McHugh said the accused's behaviour on the night had been "vicious".

However, he decided to refer him to the Drugs Treatment Court.

Doyle was remanded on continuing bail until October 30.