| 4.7°C Dublin

Dead man's kitchen door was riddled with bullet holes, garda arms expert tells murder trial


John Wilson

John Wilson

John Wilson

a garda ballistics expert has told a murder trial he saw several bullet holes in the kitchen door of a dead man's house as his body lay under a blanket at his feet.

Keith O'Neill (39), of Lissadell Drive, Drimnagh, has pleaded not guilty to murdering John Wilson (35) on September 28, 2012, at his home in Cloverhill Road, Ballyfermot.

Det Gda Dennis Sweetman told Conor Devally, prosecuting, that both the accused man and the deceased were present on CCTV footage recorded hours before the shooting.

Det Sweetman said the footage showed Wilson entering a shop from Cherry Orchard Avenue. He then said O'Neill entered the same shop from the right hand side.

The officer said the footage showed Wilson enter the frame from the right wearing a motorcycle jacket and helmet and remaining on the screen at the deli counter area.

He is then seen leaving the shop at 10.39am and walking towards his motorbike seconds after Keith O'Neill and another person leave through the same exit.

Gda Mark Collander, attached to the garda ballistics section, told Mr Devally that he was present at the home of the deceased on September 28, 2012.

"I went to the house at Cloverhill Road and entered the house via the front door," he said.

"On the floor I saw a dead body who I know now to be John Wilson and it was covered by a blanket. There was a number of bullet holes in the door that led into the kitchen.

"From the front door into the hallway there were six bullet holes in and around that door. The bullets passed straight through into the kitchen.

"I retrieved the firearm. I cleaned the firearm itself and tested it."


Gda Collander told Mr Devally that he had formed the opinion that two of the bullets found at the home of the deceased had both been discharged from a Ruger 100 revolver that gardai had already taken into evidence.

In relation to the remaining bullets, he said he was unable to form a definitive opinion on whether or not they had been discharged from the same gun.

Mr Justice Tony Hunt told the jury of five women and seven men that they would not be required to return until tomorrow.

The trial is expected to last two weeks.