| 23.9°C Dublin

Dad's cheekbone broken in brawl at McDonald's

A FEMALE shop assistant and a jobless man beat a father and son so severely in a drunken melee that one of the victims suffered a fractured cheekbone.

William Whelan (23) and Kayleigh Wright (20) both admitted serious assault charges in the fast food restaurant brawl that left the two victims with facial injuries.

A judge adjourned their cases for the payment of compensation, suggesting that Whelan might have to pay €15,000 for his role in the attack.

The older man suffered a hairline fracture to his cheekbone and his son was left covered in bruises after punches were rained on them during the attack at McDonald's, Rathmines Road Lower.

Whelan, of Bessborough Parade, Rathmines, pleaded guilty at Dublin District Court to assault causing harm to both Antony Cullen Snr and Anthony Cullen Jnr in the incident on July 17, 2010.

Wright, with an address at Springbank, Saggart, admitted assault causing harm to the younger man.

The court heard an altercation broke out at the restaurant at 1.50am on the morning in question.

Whelan struck both victims numerous times, causing injuries to both parties' upper bodies and faces, a garda sergeant said.

Mr Cullen Snr suffered a black eye and fracture to his cheek, while his son sustained bruising to his forehead, a swollen cheek and bruising to his right shoulder and upper arm.

The accused were charged after an investigation into the incident.


"There is no gain saying that serious damage was done to these people," defence solicitor James Orange told the court.

"[Whelan] was so drunk on the night he wasn't too clear on what happened but having read the [statements], it is absolutely clear," Mr Orange said.

The accused was not working and would need time to get "a modicum" of compensation together.

Judge Hugh O'Donnell said from his experience in personal injuries "he would be paying E15, 000".

Mr Orange replied that his client was in receipt of E185 a week and in his current circumstances it would take him "something in the order of a lifetime" to get that amount of money.

Wright's barrister said it had been a "ridiculous drunken melee". She was working as a shop assistant and hoped to travel to the US.

The court heard neither defendant had any previous convictions of any kind.

Judge O'Donnell adjourned the case to June 24, saying the accused "better have something substantial between them" by then.