| 6.7°C Dublin

Dad pulled ex's hair out in attack after Christening

A FATHER who dragged his ex-partner across a garage forecourt pulling clumps of her hair out following their daughter's Christening has claimed he went "off the rails" after a child he had with his new partner died of cot death.

Jonathan Power (26) left his ex-partner with extensive head injuries following the roadside beating, and left her in fear for her life.

He then sent her over 100 abusive text messages in four days threatening her and telling her to withdraw the assault charge.

A judge described Power's behaviour as "outrageous", saying that after he beat up his ex-partner he harassed her, and nearly caused her to lose her job after he started ringing her at work.

Judge Patrick McMahon sentenced Power to 18 months in prison. The defendant, of Marewood Crescent in Ballymun, admitted before Blanchardstown District Court to seriously assaulting his ex-partner at the Topaz Garage, Ballymun Road on December 5, 2009.

Power also admitted to harassing his ex-partner by sending her over 100 text messages between January 5 and January 9 this year.

Detective Garda Alan Lynch said the victim and Power attended their daughter's Christening on December 5 and were heading back to Ballymun in a taxi when he assaulted her.

Gda Lynch said the taxi pulled into the garage, and the victim jumped out. Power ran after her and dragged her by the hair across the garage forecourt, pulling out large clumps of her hair.

The detective said a group of girls in a second taxi saw what was happening, and pulled the victim into their taxi. The taxi driver then brought the victim to Blanchardstown Garda Station.

Defence lawyer, Diana Stuart, said Power takes full responsibility for his behaviour. Ms Stuart said Power went off the rails after a child he had with his new partner died of cot death in August 2009. She said the victim, in her statement to gardai, even noted the changes to his personality following the death.

Judge McMahon said he was sad to hear of the child's death but sentenced him to 18 months in prison.