| 13.8°C Dublin

Dad of two extradited from UK over teen's shooting

A FATHER-OF-TWO has been extradited from the UK to face trial in connection with the shooting and serious injuring of a teenager in north Dublin five years ago.

John Harte Devoy (22) was returned to Ireland following a European Arrest Warrant and brought before a sitting of Dublin District Court.

He is facing firearms and assault charges in connection with the shooting of Nathan Daly in Swords in 2007.

Harte Devoy was refused bail by a judge, who said he considered him a flight risk and was remanded in custody to appear in court again next week.

Devoy, of no fixed address, is charged with possession of a 12-gauge double-barrelled shotgun and five shotgun cartridges as well as assault causing serious harm to Mr Daly.

The offences are alleged to have happened at St Cronan's Close, Swords, on February 10, 2007.

Mr Daly, who was 16 at the time, was shot in the back but recovered from his injuries.

Garda Lisa Clarke told the court she arrested Devoy at Dublin Airport at 4.10pm on Friday with a domestic arrest warrant and brought him to Swords Garda Station, where he was charged.

He made no reply to the first two charges. To the assault charge, he replied: "I didn't do it intentionally."

Garda Clarke objected to bail, due to the seriousness of the alleged offences, and the garda belief that Mr Harte Devoy was a "genuine flight risk".

She said the accused was originally arrested following a European Arrest Warrant in Birmingham and brought here from London. His partner and children are still in the UK.

Applying for bail, defence solicitor Jenny McGeever said Harte Devoy had "very strong ties" to this jurisdiction, with extended family living in Dublin.

Garda Clarke said Harte Devoy had not been in contact with them in five years.


Ms McGeever said her client would dispute this. He could offer two addresses to the court that he could stay at -- his grandmothers' addresses at Cappagh Avenue, Finglas and Balbutcher Drive, Ballymun.

Once arrested, he co-operated and did not contest his extradition. He had been on remand for 10 days pending arrangements for his return to Dublin.

Ms McGeever said the defendant enjoyed a presumption of innocence.

Judge McLoughlin refused bail and remanded the defendant in custody to appear in Cloverhill District Court on November 14. He granted legal aid to the defendant who, the court heard, had "no means".