| 16.8°C Dublin

Dad jailed for driving teens to gun attack

A DUBLIN father who drove a group of youths to where they attacked a family home with shotgun pellets and a petrol bomb has been given a five-year jail sentence.

The final 18 months of the sentence were suspended.

Oliver Pierce (29), of Lealand Avenue, Clondalkin, told gardai that some teenage boys had asked him for a lift to Blanchardstown, but he didn't see they had a gun "properly" until they returned after firing shots at the house.

Pierce, a father-of-two, said he was then afraid to refuse the youths a lift back to the house in Blanchardstown the following night for fear of repercussions on his own home.

He pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to discharging a firearm at a home in Sheephill Green, Blanchardstown, and criminal damage to the front porch at the same premises on March 23, 2008.

Detective Garda Carl Keane told Fiona Murphy, prosecuting, that three family members in the Sheephill Green home each heard a loud bang from inside the house.


The mother discovered damage from shotgun pellets at the front door, but saw nobody else in the area.

Det Garda Keane said a neighbour later told gardai she had seen a green Nissan Almera, driven by a man who looked to be in his 40s, with a "young lad" in the front passenger seat outside the premises when she went to the shops.

Gardai arrived on the scene minutes later and recovered shotgun pellets. The garda said the family were at home the next night when the mother saw a flash coming towards the front door.

Her son told gardai he saw flames from a petrol bomb through the window before they died down seconds later.

The father in the house said he saw the remnants of a petrol bomb in the driveway and a Nissan car "flying past" across a nearby green with garda cars in pursuit.

Garda Keane told Ms Murphy that several colleagues followed Pierce's car from the scene to the entrance of the Navan Road inbound where they activated their flashing lights to request the driver to pull over.

Pierce pulled over and was arrested with three other teenage passengers.