| 5.8°C Dublin

Dad choked to death at wedding BBQ

A man celebrating his wedding anniversary with a barbecue died after choking on a piece of meat, an inquest heard.

Rimgaudas Rutkauskas (46) died at Beaumont Hospital five days after the incident at his home in Baldrummen in Lusk, Co Dublin, on June 16 last year.

His son Zilvinas told Dublin Coroner's Court that the family were celebrating their parents' 25th wedding anniversary with a barbecue cooked by his brother.

His father had been enjoying the party, talking with friends and family, he said, when a guest noticed that he was turning blue.

"My mother came and started to scream. Then I took him and tried to do anything that I knew. Everybody was screaming," said Mr Rutkauskas.

He took his father to the back garden for more room and started to press on his chest and stomach to try to dislodge the piece of meat on which he was choking.

 

Screaming

"My mother said something came out of his mouth and she was screaming to keep doing that," he said.

They then put his father into a car and drove to meet the ambulance on the road, he said.

Paramedics found Mr Rutkauskas was unresponsive.

Following advanced resuscitation, a heartbeat was re-established as they took him to Beaumont Hospital.

However, he never regained consciousness and died in the early hours of June 21.

The post-mortem examination found that he died as a result of brain damage sustained when he was deprived of oxygen as he choked.

Deputy coroner Maria Colbert said that there was no underlying cause for the choking and described it as a "a pure accident".

She returned a verdict of accidental death.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy