| 13.7°C Dublin

Dad burst into rage in cinema ice-cream row

A FATHER-of-one who took his young son to the cinema ended up being arrested after he flew into a rage over "an allegation that he stole ice cream", then threatened to gouge out the investigating garda's eye.

Gary Tully (35) had his four-year-old son with him when he became enraged at what he claimed was an allegation by cinema staff that he had not paid for their ice cream.

When gardai came to investigate, he began to remove his shirt, telling them: "I was a street fighter in my day."

Finding him guilty of a public order offence, a judge remarked that Tully was "steamed out of his tree".

The accused, of North Circular Road, Dublin, denied causing a breach of the peace at the Vue Cinema, Liffey Valley Shopping Centre on November 26. Judge Patrick Clyne told him to make a €400 charity donation.

Garda Eoin Ffrench told the court he was called following a report of an extremely aggressive customer. Tully then tried to take off his shirt. He raised his hand to the security guard and said he would "get him".


The garda believed the accused was looking for a fight. Tully said "go f*** yourselves, gardai". The officer had to threaten him with pepper spray and he was then arrested.

Garda Thomas Conway said the accused "made a number of comments about how he was a street fighter in his day" and said if Garda Ffrench returned with the pepper spray, he would "gouge his eye out".

Tully said he had paid for his cinema tickets and had bought a Cornetto and a tub of ice cream before queuing for popcorn.

He alleged that a member of staff accused him of not having paid for the ice cream.

He said he was annoyed and just wanted to go home, but the gardai kept blocking his way. He told the court he did say he would return the next day because he wanted someone to get sacked. But he denied issuing any threats.

Judge Clyne said whatever happened in the cinema, the defendant was "steamed out of his tree and took it out on the gardai".

The judge adjourned the case to May 24 for the accused to pay €400 to Temple Street Children's Hospital.