| 7.7°C Dublin

Dad attacked and beat fiancee in row after hurling match

A FATHER-of-two who attacked and beat his fiancee during a row after they had been at a hurling match has admitted an assault charge.

Brendan Kavanagh (35) inflicted blows on the woman he was "an item" with, leaving her with defensive marks on her neck and legs.

A court heard the couple had separated and had no more contact after the assault.

Kavanagh was convicted and fined €200 over the incident when he appeared in Blanchardstown District Court.


The accused, with an address at Clonin, Rhode, Co Offaly, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Eire O'Gorman at The Grove, Hunter's Run, Clonee on either May 29 or 30, 2011.

Sgt Maria Callaghan told the court that gardai were called to the address and spoke to the victim, who said she had been out drinking at a Dublin hurling match with Kavanagh.

When they came home, an argument ensued and the accused hit her in the face.

Garda Laura Kelly saw that Ms O'Gorman had red marks on her neck and legs. "She said she had received them while defending herself against Mr Kavanagh," Sgt Callaghan said.

A file was prepared and sent to the DPP and the accused was subsequently arrested and charged.

Ms Gorman did not attend a doctor or require any medical attention.

Simon Fleming, mitigating, explained that the accused and the victim were an "item at the time" and were engaged.

Alcohol had been a factor.

Kavanagh was now in another relationship and was living at home with his mother.

His brother died last year and he and his mother were looking after each other.

The defendant was working part time doing line maintenance and had two daughters aged 14 and 15 years.

He had previous convictions for common assault and a public order offence.

Mr Fleming said the accused had been advised that from a legal point of view, the charge may not have been made out.

However, he pleaded guilty as he did not want to put Ms O'Gorman through any further distress. There was no longer any contact between Kavanagh and the victim.

"He has moved on with his life and he hopes she can move on with hers," Mr Fleming said.

Judge Anthony Halpin fined the defendant €200.