| 9°C Dublin

Court told of garda heel attack claim

A GARDA sergeant was allegedly left with serious facial injuries after a female prisoner kicked him in the face with her high-heeled boots in a St Stephen's Day attack.

Roisin O'Reilly (29) allegedly left the sergeant with a bloody face and swelling to his eye socket after she hit out as she was being transported to a Dublin garda station. She is further accused of kicking the garda driver on the back of the head and spitting in her face.

Judge Anthony Halpin adjourned the matter to a date in April.

The accused, of Russell Meadows in Tallaght, appeared before Tallaght District Court charged with threatening and abusive behaviour at the Abberley Court Hotel in the town.

She is also accused of assaulting Garda Grainne McPartlin and seriously assaulting Sergeant Joseph O'Connor at Belgard Road and with assaulting Garda Lisa Prendergast at Tallaght Garda Station, all on St Stephen's Day last year.

The court heard the DPP has directed summary disposal of the matters in the District Court, where the penalties are less severe.

Outlining the allegation for jurisdiction purposes, Garda Sergeant Diane Swift said O'Reilly was arrested around 9.30pm on December 26 for a breach of the peace.


En route to Tallaght Garda Station, Sgt Swift said it is alleged O'Reilly lay down on the back seat and kicked Gda McPartlin on the back of her head with her high-heeled boots.

Sgt Swift said Gda McPartlin stopped the vehicle and when she turned around, it is alleged O'Reilly spat in her face and attempted to headbutt her.

The sergeant also alleged that O'Reilly spat in Sgt O'Connor's face and again leaned back and kicked him on the right side of his face with her heeled boots.

Sgt Swift said officers restrained O'Reilly's feet, and a number of other gardai helped remove her from the vehicle at Tallaght station.

Sgt Swift alleged O'Reilly continued to be physically violent in the station, and tried to kick and punch gardai. The sergeant alleged she punched Gda Prendergast on the side of her face and on her nose.

In relation to Sgt O'Connor's injuries, Sgt Swift claimed he had swelling to his eye socket, cuts and bruising to his right eye and bleeding around the face. He was taken to St Vincent's Hospital for treatment and missed one day of work due to his injuries.

Pictures of Sgt O'Connor's injuries were handed into the court. Inspecting the images, Judge Halpin said it looked like Sgt O'Connor "did three rounds with Mike Tyson".

The judge said the allegation was a borderline case but he would accept jurisdiction of the charge.