| 9.4°C Dublin

Couple died in cold after they turned off heat

THE gas heating in an apartment where a couple died in the freezing cold had been switched off at the occupier's request, an inquest has heard.

The council had given John Glennon (66) electric heaters, but when gardai entered his apartment at Drumalee Court, North Circular Road, Dublin 7, they found a trip switch had cut off the power supply.

BEDROOM

Mr Glennon was found dead alongside his partner Deborah McEvoy (63) on their bedroom floor on January 14 last year.

Dublin Coroner's Court heard that Ms McEvoy was last seen the Saturday morning prior.

Sergeant John Dunne said gardai believed that Mr Glennon was also alive at that time.

The heating was disconnected in January 2007 at Mr Glennon's request, he added.

The officer also told how the oil heater found lying flat in the room would have switched off when it fell on its side.

The alarm was raised by city council liaison officer Rita Cannon who regularly checked on Mr Glennon.

He had been living in the council-owned apartment complex since 2004, while Ms McEvoy had moved in the previous September.

Ms Cannon told the court the gas heating in the apartment had been disconnected, but that she "provided him with two small electric heaters on two separate occasions as the weather was so severe".

The postmortem was carried out by then deputy state pathologist Dr Khalid Jaber.

HYPOTHERMIA

He gave hypothermia as the cause of death for Ms McEvoy. In Mr Glennon's case, Dr Jaber found evidence of a heart attack on a background of poor nutritional status.

He returned a narrative verdict and said that Mr Glennon may have suffered a heart attack with hypothermia a second condition.

HNEWS@HERALD.IE


Privacy