| 10.2°C Dublin

Brothers say sorry in assault case deal

TWO brothers accused of assaulting a pair of their neighbours on New Year's Eve had the charges against them struck out after they apologised to the men for "everything that has gone on".

James Ward (35) and his brother Robert (32) promised their neighbours that there would be no repercussions or recriminations to their decision to drop the allegations.

The brothers appeared before Dublin District Court accused of assaulting their neighbours Robert Grehan and Graham Farrell.

The alleged incident took place at Mount Olive Grove, Kilbarrack on December 31, 2008.

The matter was sent down for hearing before Judge Denis McLoughlin after the brothers denied the charges.

Minutes before the case was due to start, defence solicitor Michael Staines said the parties had been involved in talks and the alleged victims were willing to drop the charges provided they received an apology under oath from the Ward brothers.

James Ward, of Beau Park Square, Clongriffin, Dublin 13, apologised under oath to the two injured parties for the incident.

He said he was willing to give an undertaking under oath that there would be no recriminations. His brother, Robert, of Mount Oliver Grove, Kilbarrack, also apologised to the victims for "everything that has gone on".

He also said there would be no recriminations or repercussions. Judge McLoughlin struck out the charges.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy