| 11°C Dublin

Boy armed with glass shard stole from teens

A 17-YEAR-OLD who mugged two teenage boys while he was armed with a shard of broken glass has been remanded on bail pending sentence.

The youth, who already had a record for committing similar offences, pleaded guilty at the Children's Court to the robbery of the boys, also aged 17, at Wolfe Tone Square in Dublin city centre, on September 17 last year.



Garda Donal O'Sullivan told Judge Bryan Smyth that the two boys had been socialising at the square when the youth and another male went up to them. The youth "demanded a cigarette, at the time he was carrying a piece of broken glass".

He punched one of the boys in the face, leaving him with a cut lip, before taking a watch and smartphone from the pair.

Gda O'Sullivan agreed that the teenager kept the piece of glass to his side and did not use it to assault the boys.

He said the youth had two prior criminal convictions for robberies for which he had been placed on probation last year. He is also awaiting trial for a car hijacking, the court heard.

The teen's lawyer said that the youth had no intention of using the glass as a weapon and he had been carrying it to "frighten" the two boys, which Judge Smyth said was not much of a consolation to the victims.

The defence said the youth, who was accompanied to his hearing by his mother, had been drinking on the day of the robbery and was remorseful.

He had also been under the negative influence of a peer group, the boy's lawyer added.

In pleas for leniency, Judge Smyth was also asked to note that the youth is taking part in a training course and has been making progress since he was placed on probation last year.

Judge Smyth adjourned sentencing until a date in May.

He asked for a pre-sentence probation report on the youth to be furnished.

"All options will be considered including detention unless the report is very positive," he warned.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy