| 9.7°C Dublin

Boy (13) accused of Ana murder has his case put back until end of month


Ana Kriegel was found dead in May at a disused farmhouse

Ana Kriegel was found dead in May at a disused farmhouse

Ana Kriegel was found dead in May at a disused farmhouse

The second boy accused of murdering teenager Ana Kriegel has been further remanded in custody after a judge was told a file was with the DPP.

The 13-year-old had his case adjourned when he made his second court appearance yesterday charged with the murder at a disused farmhouse in west Dublin.

The accused, who cannot be named because of his age, is charged with murdering Anastasia Kriegel, known as Ana, at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road, Lucan, on May 14.

Ana (14), who was adopted from Russia at the age of two, left her home in Leixlip, Co Kildare, at about 5pm that day.

Her parents were unable to contact her phone and alerted gardai. Her body was found at the derelict house three days later.

When the boy, wearing a light grey hooded top, dark blue jeans and black runners, was led into Dublin Children's Court, he nodded at Judge John O'Connor, said "good morning" and took his seat.


He smiled at his parents as they walked into the court.

The judge noted that the accused's mother and father were both present.

Defence solicitor David Powderly confirmed this, giving the judge the names of the boy's parents, who sat alongside him.

"How are you getting on?," Judge O'Connor asked the accused.

"Good," the boy replied, sitting with his hands together on the bench in front of him.

Detective Sergeant Damien Gannon said he was applying for a two-week remand.

Judge O'Connor said this would bring them into the courts vacation period in August, and offered to "put it in to just before that".

"That is fine, thank you judge," Mr Powderly replied.

Det-Sgt Gannon told the judge a file was with the DPP.

Judge O'Connor asked if there were any other applications. "I have no application today, judge," Mr Powderly said.

The boy was remanded in custody to appear in court again on July 31.

He nodded to his parents before he was led away.

No bail application has been made at either of his appearances as only the High Court can grant bail on a murder charge.

The first boy to be charged with the murder, also aged 13, was remanded in custody on May 25.

On June 27 that defendant was refused bail by the High Court. He is due to appear at the Children's Court on July 23.

There has been no indication yet as to how either boy intends to plead.