| 11°C Dublin

'Bottler' admits his guilt on weapons and attack charges



Derek ‘Bottler’ Devoy was arrested after attacking two gardai

Derek ‘Bottler’ Devoy was arrested after attacking two gardai

Derek ‘Bottler’ Devoy was arrested after attacking two gardai

One of Dublin's most notorious gangland criminals - Derek 'Bottler' Devoy - will be sentenced next week after admitting attacking two gardai as well as having two sub-machine guns and a grenade near his north Dublin home.

Yesterday, Devoy pleaded guilty to four counts he was facing before the Special Criminal Court in relation to the incident last year in which the Army's bomb squad were called out to deal with the explosive device.


The major criminal, with an address at Balbutcher Lane, Poppintree, Ballymun, Dublin 11, was previously charged with possession of a 9mm Makarov PM 63 sub-machine gun, in circumstances as to give rise to reasonable inference that he had not got it in his possession for a lawful purpose at Crannogue Road, Ballymun, Dublin on March 11, 2019.

He was also charged with having in his possession an explosive substance - a Yugoslavian M75 hand grenade with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury to property at Crannogue Road on the same date. Devoy also faced two charges of assaulting Garda Andrew O'Connor and Garda Conor Garland, Peace Officers acting in the execution of their duty, knowing that they were or being reckless as to whether they were a Peace Officer so acting on the same occasion.

When asked how he pleaded to the four counts before the non-jury Special Criminal Court, Devoy said separately on each occasion: "Guilty, Judge". He will appear before the court again next Monday for sentencing and was remanded in custody at Cloverhill Prison.


Derek ‘Bottler’ Devoy

Derek ‘Bottler’ Devoy

Derek ‘Bottler’ Devoy

He previously pleaded guilty to possessing a RAK-PM63 sub-machine gun with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury at Crannogue Road, Ballymun, Dublin 11, on March 11, 2019.

The incident sparked a major garda alert last year when Devoy was spotted at a nearby store armed with a machine gun.

Footage also emerged of Devoy walking through a Ballymun housing estate while hiding the weapon behind his back. The recording, taken by a shocked resident, shows him then turn and pull out the weapon to his side before running in the opposite direction.

Local unarmed gardai were the first on the scene and Devoy barricaded himself inside a nearby property before later being tackled by the officers. It was then discovered he was armed with the grenade and the property was evacuated before the Army's Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit was deployed to the scene.

The two gardai were praised by Garda Commissioner Drew Harris at the time, who said they "showed great bravery in ensuring the safety of the public".

Devoy was arrested and later charged, and has been held in custody ever since.

Before the bizarre and serious incident, Devoy was suspected of being "in the middle" of a number of dangerous feuds in the Ballymun and Coolock areas, as well as falling out with a dangerous gang from the north inner city with links to the Hutch mob.

This gang are suspected of the double murder of his innocent sister Antoinette Corbally (47) and his friend Clinton Shannon (30), who suffered multiple fatal gunshot wounds in a horror attack at his Ballymun family home, on the afternoon of August 16, 2017.

Devoy's innocent niece, Andrea, who was then aged 18, was also injured in the horrific unsolved crime in which he was the intended target.


Gardai established the kill team waited nearby for him to arrive home before the attack.

Innocent Mr Shannon, a friend of Devoy, had just dropped him on the street when the machine gun fire rang out.

An eye witness at the time told the Herald that she was in her garden when she heard "at least 20 shots" being fired.

"I saw him lying there and knew he was in a very bad way, but then I heard shouting about a girl shot inside her house."

Devoy, who was carrying a toddler in his arms, dropped the youngster and fled through the house to escape the hail of bullets. He was uninjured in the attack which was said to have "driven him crazy".

Just 24 hours before his sister's funeral, a topless Devoy was photographed by the Herald at the wake wearing just tracksuit bottoms and trainers where he was seen comforting a woman at the scene.

One of the north inner city hitmen who is suspected of being involved in the double murder was Jason 'Buda' Molyneux, who was himself shot dead near his home in January 2018.

After his murder, specialist gardai visited Devoy to check on his whereabouts due to the ongoing dispute between the two men, but gardai are satisfied he had no involvement in that murder.

Molyneux was also the chief suspect and was twice arrested about the gruesome killing of Devoy's older brother Michael 'Mad Mickey' Devoy in Tallaght in 2014 but was released without charge.

Devoy's most serious previous convictions are for the attempted armed robbery of a post office in Balbriggan, north Dublin, and for the non-fatal drive-by shooting at two of his neighbours in Ballymun in September, 2005.

The two drive-by shootings, carried out by him and his brother, centred around a local dispute over wheelie bins.