| 12.9°C Dublin

Barman 'lost it' and stabbed man in bed with his ex-partner


Michael Bonner at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court

Michael Bonner at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court

Michael Bonner at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court

A Dublin barman stabbed a man with a steak knife after finding him in bed with his ex-partner, a court has heard.

Father-of-two Michael Bonner pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Gary Dawnay on August 14, 2013, at Hayworth Terrace, Ongar, Dublin.

The injured man was stabbed twice in the shoulder, causing his left lung to collapse by over 50 per cent.

Bonner (42), of Laurel Lodge, Castleknock, will be sentenced on April 17 at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Judge Desmond Hogan said there was little pre-meditation involved and the attack was "something of the moment, carried out in a frenzied way".

He said Bonner committed a very serious offence and reacted "totally disproportionately" to finding his ex-partner in bed with another man.

He adjourned sentencing to allow Probation Services investigate whether Bonner would be suitable for the Restorative Justice Programme, but refused to rule out a custodial sentence.

Garda Alan Reddy told Gerardine Small BL, defending, that Mr Dawnay had started seeing Bonner's ex-partner a few weeks earlier.

On the night, Mr Dawnay was drinking with friends when his girlfriend texted him to ask him to come to her house.

He called to the house and they chatted and then went into the bedroom. Sometime after 3am, Bonner let himself in and barged into the bedroom with a knife taken from the kitchen.


Mr Dawnay and the woman both jumped up out of bed and tried to block Bonner, who threatened to kill Mr Dawnay, saying: "Stay away from my family, this is a warning."

Mr Dawnay was stabbed twice in the shoulder and his thumb was sliced when he tried to grab the knife. Gardai were called and found Bonner being restrained by a group of people.

Mr Dawnay was brought to hospital where his shoulder wounds were stitched and his chest was X-rayed as he was having difficulty breathing.

On arrest, Bonner admitted the stabbing and apologised. He said he had drunk eight or nine pints on the night.

Patrick Reynolds BL, defending, said Bonner "lost it" when he went to the house, at a time when his family life was disintegrating around him.

The court heard that Bonner has worked as a barman in The Vineyard in Blanchardstown for the last 12 years.

Bonner brought €1,000 to court as a token of remorse, which the victim did not wish to accept. A number of testimonials were handed into court describing Bonner as a man of integrity who has worked on his drink difficulties and has raised money for charity.