| 10.2°C Dublin

Bail set at €15k for man charged over tiger raid

A DUBLIN man charged with possession of cash which was allegedly part of a "ransom" paid out following the tiger kidnapping of a bank official's partner has been granted bail.

Edward McCarthy (23) must lodge an independent surety of €15,000 cash, or alternatively, two independent sureties of €7,500 cash.

A senior detective objected to bail, but said he would consent if a substantial five-figure sum was lodged with the court.

Detective Sergeant Jim Smith told Cloverhill District Court that gardai fear at least €10,000 of the "ransom" has yet to be found. The sergeant said he would withdraw his objections to bail if "a surety of more than €10,000" was lodged.

McCarthy is charged with possession of cash which was stolen from a branch of the Ulster Bank in Dublin two weeks ago.

The accused, of Reuben Street in Dublin, is alleged to have been caught with €61,000 on Kimmage Road West on Friday, May 28. McCarthy was charged last Wednesday and was remanded in custody.

Defence lawyer Seoirse O'Dunlaing said McCarthy was now applying for bail. Sgt Smith objected to bail, citing the seriousness of the charge and his concerns that McCarthy may be a flight risk.

The sergeant said it would be alleged the money found on McCarthy was part of a ransom for a tiger kidnapping which involved a bank official and his wife.

The money was paid over for the safe return of the official's wife, he said.

The detective said it would be further alleged McCarthy was caught "red-handed" with the money in his car.


Mr O'Dunlaing said the defendant's mother was in court and would be able to lodge €3,000 cash.

Judge Ann Watkin remanded McCarthy in custody with consent to bail in his own bond of €500 as well as an independent surety of €15,000, or two sureties of €7,500.

He must sign on daily at his local garda station, surrender his passport and stay away from Ballyfermot.

Judge Watkin remanded McCarthy in custody with consent to bail to appear again before Cloverhill District Court in two weeks.