| 13.9°C Dublin

Addict who used barber's razor to rob tourists avoids jail


Sean Carroll pleaded guilty

Sean Carroll pleaded guilty

Sean Carroll pleaded guilty

A recovering drug addict who mugged two German tourists at knife-point has received a suspended sentence after a judge said he was well on the way to rehabilitation.

Dubliner Sean Carroll (35) held a barber shop-style razor up at the two tourists, one of whom had fallen on the ground after her bicycle got caught on the Luas track.

Carroll, of Ely Close, Old Court, Tallaght, pleaded guilty to two charges of attempted robbery at St Stephen's Green West on June 23, 2017. He has previous convictions for theft offences.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard Carroll had gone up to the tourists and said "give me €20 or I'm going to stab you" while showing them the razor.

The tourists were extremely frightened and called gardai and moved away from Carroll but he came back and repeated his demands and they gave him money.

Judge Melanie Greally noted that at the time Carroll was in a period of extreme drug abuse involving cocaine and heroin.


Since the offences, he had made radical improvements in his life and is now living in accommodation under the Peter McVerry Trust, the court heard. The judge said he had completed residential drug treatment and was now drug-free.

"He is well on the road to full rehabilitation," she said.

She imposed concurrent four-year sentences for each robbery and suspended them on condition he engage in offence and victim awareness work with the Probation Service.

Carroll also pleaded guilty to a separate offence of assault causing harm, committed outside a pub in Kilmacud, South Dublin, on February 19, 2017.

The court heard he was severely intoxicated and he and another man were trying to get back into the pub after being thrown out.

Carroll broke a bottle and then began punching the other man on the side of his face. The victim was left with a small scar on his face but downplayed his injuries in statements to gardai.

The judge imposed a two-and-a-half-year prison sentence for the assault which she also suspended on condition he keep the peace for that period.