| -2.3°C Dublin

€54,000 for family of gran (90) in burst water bottle tragedy

Close

Daughter Carol Hayes

Daughter Carol Hayes

Daughter Carol Hayes

The family of a 90-year-old woman who, they claim, died as a result of scald injuries she suffered in a Co Dublin nursing home has been awarded just over €54,000 damages.

Barrister Frank Crean told the Circuit Court that Olive Sheeran suffered severe scalding to her buttocks, left thigh and calf, heels and ankles when a water bottle burst in her bed.

Mr Crean said SRCW Ltd, the operator of Ferndene Nursing Home, in Dean's Grange Road, Blackrock, had agreed to pay the family €54,406 damages as assessed by the Injuries Board for their suffering and loss, and funeral and travel expenses.

He said Ms Sheeran's daughter Carol Hayes, of Clonakilty, Co Cork, had sued SRCW on her own behalf and on behalf of her brothers, Mark and Conor Sheeran, and Ms Sheeran's seven grandchildren.

Ms Hayes told the court she was asking it to approve the Injuries Board assessment "in respect of the fatal injuries" her mother, then 89, had sustained in an accident at Ferndene on January 6, 2017.

Scalding

Mr Crean said that about five minutes before the accident, a nurse had visited Ms Sheeran's room and taken two water bottles away to refill them.

A water bottle was then placed next to Ms Sheeran's feet but it burst shortly afterwards, severely scalding her.

Mr Crean told Circuit Court president Mr Justice Raymond Groarke that, following an investigation, all water bottles had been removed from use in the home and the investigator had recommended they be replaced with stock that should be inspected every month.

In her affidavit, Ms Hayes said her mother was rushed to St Vincent's Hospital before being transferred to the burns unit at St James's Hospital.

The court heard she developed pneumonia and a urinary tract infection. She remained in hospital for three months, by which time her wounds had almost completely healed.

"I have been advised by my mother's plastic surgeon that she suffered a life-threatening injury with a 31pc predicted mortality," Ms Hayes said.

"My mother died on August 21, 2017."

Mr Crean said the water bottle had been covered by a cloth cosy so the defect in it may not have been obvious to the nurse.

Mr Justice Groarke approved the settlement.


Privacy