| 13.2°C Dublin

Couple injured in knife attack at apartments

A YOUNG man and woman have been found wounded after a serious attack in a Dublin apartment complex.

The attack happened in The Steeples apartment complex, in Chapelizod, at around 3.30am on Friday.

Gardai were called to the scene after a 25-year-old man was stabbed in the lower body and legs, and a 22-year-old female also suffered injuries which were less serious.

They were taken to St James's Hospital. The man's condition is described as stable.

Meanwhile, gardai in the north of the city are urging two people who assaulted a man, who later died, to come forward.

Gardai made their appeal just hours after Joe Connolly (48) died following an assault on St Patrick's Day in Ballymun.

Detectives believe the attackers did not mean to kill their victim -- and were possibly unaware of the condition of Mr Connolly -- as they had fled the scene quickly. The attack happened outside a takeaway.

Mr Connolly suffered head injuries after the row at around 9pm on Thursday night, but he was conscious when an ambulance arrived for him, and talked to paramedics as he got into it.


But his condition deteriorated after being taken to the Mater Hospital and he was then rushed to Beaumont Hospital, which specialises in head injuries. He died at noon yesterday.

Gardai have gathered CCTV footage from around the scene.

It is understood an insult sparked a row and Mr Connolly was attacked. It is thought he may have hit his head when he fell to the ground.

Garda Supt John Gilligan said a definite line of inquiry was being followed and he appealed for the attackers to come forward.

"We have received co-operation from the community in Ballymun, and have taken statements and made progress. We are now appealing for witnesses to the incident, which is believed to have lasted a minute or less," Supt Gilligan said.

"The people involved left the scene very quickly, but we are hoping that they will come forward."

Supt Gilligan said gardai believe the incident happened after something was said or done.

"I think there was no intention to cause this and we believe we can get to the bottom of it very quickly," he said.

The victim, who was from the Poppintree area, lived alone and had no children.

Local parish priest Fr Gerry Corcoran offered his sympathy to his family. "He was a very inoffensive man from a nice family," he said.