| 14.9°C Dublin

Counterfeit boss 'behind savage attack on lawyer'

A 39-year-old man who was arrested by gardai investigating the attempted murder of a north Dublin solicitor is one of the main organisers of Ireland's lucrative counterfeit clothing trade.

The Dublin businessman was arrested on Monday in relation to the savage attack on Violet Quigley, the second time he has been questioned by officers investigating the knife assault.

He was later released without charge.


Ms Quigley (47) suffered multiple stab wounds to her legs, stomach, arms and side as well as head injuries in the attack at her home in Donaghmede in April, 2011.

The businessman who was re-arrested this week is known to Ms Quigley.

He is also on the garda's radar for his involvement in the hugely-lucrative counterfeit clothing industry.

The man is considered to be a major player in the black market activity and his 'business' interests have also made him a target for the garda's National Bureau of Criminal Investigation's Intellectual Property Crime Unit (IPCU).

"This man's links to individuals from Pakistan and India has been noted and is being investigated in terms of counterfeit goods which are often not of the highest quality," a senior source said.

"Many of the clothing products that this man is dealing with are being sold by foreign nationals in markets across the country.

"He also has a number of other business interests and gardai are absolutely determined to bring him to justice."

Ms Quigley is said to be making a good recovery from her ordeal which occurred at around midnight on April 8, 2011.

The criminal who carried out the knife attack is believed to be a heroin addict from Dublin's north inner city, hired by the man who was arrested this week.

Investigators believe the arrested man decided to have Ms Quigley murdered for personal reasons.

It is believed that she was targeted because of a financial dispute in what is one of the most sinister cases that gardai have come across in recent times.

Ms Quigley lost a huge amount of blood during the assault by the masked man, who was wielding a knife and a claw hammer.


Neighbours heard her screams and rushed to her aid, saving her life.

She was rushed to Beaumont Hospital in a critical condition and was on a life support machine for more than 24 hours.

She survived the frenzied attack, but only after receiving 25 pints of blood in transfusions.

One neighbour who ran into the house said that the bedroom was like an "abattoir" after the attack.