| 4°C Dublin

Cocaine dealer says he had nothing to do with death of Katy

THE drug dealer who supplied cocaine to top model Katy French insisted today: "I didn’t kill her."

Convicted drug dealer Russell Memery (24) claimed blood tests on Katy would prove she didn’t die from a cocaine overdose.

Speaking for the first time about the circumstances of Katy’s death, Memery refused to elaborate on his astonishing claim about the cause of her death.

"No, I didn’t supply cocaine to Katy French," he told the Herald.

This week, Memery received a two-and-a-half year suspended jail term for his role in the supply of the drugs to Katy.

But when asked by the Herald did he supply the drugs that killed the model, he said, "No, I didn't supply cocaine to Katy French."

When asked to explain what he meant, considering there was cocaine found in Katy's system during a post mortem, Memery said: "It wasn't the drugs that killed her."

When asked if he knew what killed the model if it wasn't the cocaine in her system, Memery said: "That will come out in the toxicology report. I don't want to say anymore."

Ms French (24) died in Navan Hospital in December 2008, four days after collapsing at the house of scrap dealer Kieron Ducie in Kilmessan, Co Meath.

A post-mortem revealed she had suffered brain damage and traces of cocaine were found in her system.

The inquest into Katy's death is expected to be heard in the near future, but the coroner conducting that inquest in Navan has said the case file is still with the DPP.

Trim Circuit Court heard that Memery, who is originally from Finglas, had conspired with two other people to possess cocaine for the purpose of selling or supplying it to another.

The offence took place between 11pm on December 1, 2007 and 3am on the December 2, 2007.

Det Garda Niall O'Donnell told the court that on December 1, 2007, Memery, with an address at Yellow Clay Manor, Navan, Co Meath, got a telephone call to source €200 worth of cocaine for a third party.

State Prosecutor Karl Hanahoe said Memery then contacted a third party and drove to the Statoil Service Station at Bracetown, Clonee, Co Meath.

At the garage, the cocaine was exchanged for four €50 notes. Memery was arrested on February 20, 2008, and accepted his part in the handover of the cocaine. He has 20 previous convictions for traffic offences.

His barrister said Memery had made a statement to gardai setting out his role and the garda agreed that Memery had "in real terms assisted the Prosecution case."

She said Memery had not sought out the individual in question but was himself contacted with a view to sourcing drugs and he went with another party to get them.

Passing sentence, the judge said another person had initiated what happened and that he was the contact person who made contact to get the drugs.

He imposed the two-and-a-half year suspended sentence on condition that Memery enter into a bond to be of good behaviour for the next three years.

Katy never regained consciousness after collapsing at the home of Kieran Ducie and died four days later on the evening of December 6.

She passed away peacefully in the arms of her sister Jill, surrounded by her parents Janet and John.

She was one of the country's top models at the time of her death and had appeared on reality series and was also involved in a number of charities including Goal