| 11.1°C Dublin

CIRA brothers behind brutal gang murders

TWO brothers murdered drug dealer Sean Winters after demanding – pay us €50,000 cash or be killed.

The IRA pair, in their late 20s and early 30s, who also targeted convicted drug dealer Eamonn Kelly, are described as the most ruthless to appear in Dublin.

They have demanded money from dealers all over the city. One brother was still in custody today over Winters’ murder.

They are also believed to have ordered the shooting of Eamon Dunne's pallbearer Brian O'Reilly in Co Meath last month. Both men survived.

The brothers, who were thrown out of the Continuity IRA before being recently re-admitted, targeted The Don's pals in the weeks following his murder last April. Close friends of Dunne, including Kelly and O'Reilly and two brothers from west Dublin, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were told to pay up or be attacked.

A high-level source told the Herald today: "It was brazen. A number of people, including innocent businessmen, were told to pay up or face the consequences."

One of the brothers is in custody today, along with four members of a family linked to them.


The father, two sons and a daughter, from Baldoyle, were detained shortly after Sean Winters (40) was shot in Portmarnock last Sunday night. The family is well known to gardai who have been investigating the activities of former republican dissidents in north Dublin.

Tensions remain high in Dublin's underworld today amid fears of further violence on the city's northside.

Winters was shot twice in the head outside the Links apartments located next to Portmarnock Dart Station at 10.20pm on Sunday night.

It is understood that the up-and-coming gang have become heavily involved in the unregulated pub and club security industry and extortion rackets, including demanding cash from businessmen.

The CIRA brothers, and their associates, are suspected of involvement in an incident in July when a lone gunman wielding two handguns opened fire indiscriminately at the front of the Players' Lounge bar in Fairview injuring three innocent victims.

Innocent doorman Wayne Barrett (31) and two innocent patrons, Austin Purcell (23) and Brian Masterson (30), were shot a number of times as they stood outside the bar.

Mr Barrett and Mr Purcell remain in hospital as they slowly recover from their injuries.

Along with targeting legitimate businesses, the brothers are also suspected of issuing threats to friends of Eamonn Dunne, and to Sean Winters, the low-level criminal murdered on Sunday.

It has also emerged that Winters was the chief suspect in two murder investigations.

Drug dealer Winters (40) was suspected of involvement in the murders of Roy Coddington (36) in Meath and Anthony Jenkinson, who was beaten to death using a blunt instrument in a North Dublin park in 2001.

It is believed that Winters carried out the attacks at the behest of a notorious north Dublin gang boss. Winters was a member of a drugs crime gang based in the Donaghmede and Baldoyle areas.

One of the leading members of this gang David Lyndsay (38) and his friend Alan Napper (39) -- both from Baldoyle -- went missing in Clane, co Kildare in July 2008 and are presumed murdered.

Winters was also a cousin of Noel Deans, a small-time crook from Coolock in Dublin who was gunned down in January. There are suggestions that Winters was hellbent on revenge before he himself was killed.

Within hours of his brutal murder, officers were following a certain line of inquiry and arrested six of the suspects in a house at Clare Hall, Donaghmede.

The four others were detained when gardai intercepted a suspect car. One of those in custody is one of the CIRA brothers, it is understood.


All 10 were being held last night at various garda stations around north Dublin under section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act. This allows gardai to detain them without charge for up to three days. The suspects range in age from 24 years to 56 years.

A post mortem carried out on the body of Winters by Deputy State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis confirmed that he died after being shot twice in the back of the head.

The gunman made his escape in a silver Volkswagen Passat car, with an 98 OY registration plate. It was found burnt out half an hour later at Temple View Close in Coolock.

Superintendent Mark Curran appealed to anyone who was in the Station Road area of Portmarnock or the Temple View Close area of Coolock between 10pm and 11pm on Sunday to contact the incident room at Swords station on 01 6664710 or the confidential line, 1800 666111.