GARDAI have released more details about the man whose dismembered body was found at a west Dublin recycling plant.
The bid to identify him has now gone global after details were passed to international crime agencies Interpol and Europol.
It also emerged yesterday that the victim had undergone brain surgery.
Gardai still have no clue as to who the man is, but sources told the Herald that detectives are convinced he was murdered and is "most likely foreign".
"At this stage the victim seems highly unlikely to be Irish," a senior source said after revealing that more than 200 rubbish skips across the capital had been searched.
At a press conference yesterday, gardai finally confirmed that the body had been dismembered. An upper leg and lower leg were first found at Thorntons recycling plant in Killeen Road, Ballyfermot, on July 31.
Further body parts have been found following extensive searches of up to 1,000 tonnes of domestic and industrial waste.
The search operation was concluded at the Thorntons site last weekend.
The Herald previously revealed that the hands and most of the skull of the victim had been removed in a bid to hamper identification from dental records or fingerprints.
A garda spokesman said yesterday that the identity of the man and the cause of death have yet to be established.
However, he said the victim had undergone brain surgery in the past.
"This victim may have died four to five days prior to the discovery of the remains at the waste plant on July 31," said the spokesman.
"What we have determined is that this male was between 25 and 45 years of age and five-foot-eight to possibly six-foot in height. This man had undergone neurosurgical treatment some time in the past.
"There is evidence that this male underwent bilateral craniotomies - that is to say, he underwent surgery arising from some sort of serious head trauma, such as would be suffered in a serious assault.
"It is possible the patient suffered neurological problems in the aftermath of these surgeries, such as seizure or epilepsy."
Detectives have taken more than 250 statements and followed 300 lines of enquiry, it emerged yesterday.