| 9.6°C Dublin

Chilling rapist seeks refuge in Garda station

EVIL rapist Larry Murphy sought sanctuary in a Dublin city garda station last night following his day trip to Cork.

The suspected serial killer was seen entering Kevin Street Garda Station last night.

It is understood he spent several hours there. This morning, a spokesperson told members of the assembled media, some of whom had waited outside the station overnight, that Murphy (45) “was gone”.

The rapist had been spotted disembarking from a Cork to Dublin train yesterday evening before he was whisked away by gardai from Heuston Station in Dublin.

After evading the cameras for almost 24 hours, Murphy was spotted yesterday evening at Dublin city's main train terminal. Wearing a grey Timberland hoodie, Murphy walked through the station in determined fashion before hopping into an unmarked Ford Focus garda car as the garda helicopter hovered overhead.

Gardai from the National Surveillance Unit have been charged with tracking the whereabouts of Ireland's most notorious sex offender.

Sources have revealed that the gardai are treating the operation with the utmost seriousness to protect the public from Murphy and to protect Murphy from the public.

The black Ford Focus was last seen travelling down the Long Mile Road in West Dublin last night before Murphy walked into Kevin Street Garda Station later that evening.

The car arrived at Kevin Street Garda Station followed by two Garda motorcycles. A large media presence was gathered outside the station this morning.


Under the Sex Offenders Act 2001, Murphy does not have to provide gardai with an address until next Thursday – seven days after his release from prison.

He left Heuston Station at 7.30am yesterday, taking a train to Cork. He spent approximately three hours there before returning to Dublin.

A number of gardai and a television crew were present as he got off the train.

Murphy made no comment and pulled the grey hoodie tight over his head before sitting into the car and being driven off.

It is understood that Murphy travelled to Cork to visit a fellow ex-convict in Cork city who he befriended behind bars.

Larry Murphy was visited in prison in the last few weeks by a paedophile who spent time with him behind bars and who is now based in Cork.

Murphy arrived back in Dublin at 4.30pm but it’s still unknown who exactly he spent the nine hours with in the south of the country.

Gardai issued another statement last night to reassure people that gardai were continuing to monitor Murphy.

“The Sex Offender Management and Intelligence Unit is charged with maintaining a record of all persons who are subject to the requirements of the Sex Offenders Act 2001,” the statement read.

“A risk assessment is conducted and a management plan is put in place prior to the release of all high risk sex offenders.

“The national unit liaises with Divisional Inspectors throughout the country that have responsibility for managing convicted sex offenders in their area.

“An Garda Siochana's priority is the safety of the community and our policy is directed towards maximising our ability to protect the community effectively.

“The national Sex Offender Management and Intelligence Unit working with other agencies has developed significant experience and expertise in the effective management of sex offenders and works with gardai around the country to fulfil its role and responsibilities on a daily basis.

“This work receives the highest priority within An Garda Siochana.”


Deep concerns have been expressed by locals in his native Baltinglass in Co Wicklow that he may return there.

He was set free on Thursday morning after serving 10-and-ahalf years of a 15-year sentence for the rape, kidnap and attempted murder of a Co Carlow businesswoman in 2000.

Gardai investigating the disappearance of six women in the Leinster area, as part of Operation Trace, were extremely interested in Murphy.

He continues to be the prime suspect in the disappearances of young women Jo Jo Dullard (21), Deirdre Jacob (18) and Annie McCarrick (26).

Despite making a number of attempts to question Murphy over the disappearances he has so far refused to co-operate with investigators.

The Director of Public Prosecutions was told that Murphy had shown no remorse.

When he was told of how his rape victim was suffering, he replied: “Well, she's alive isn't she?”

The violent rapist has never sought counselling and refused offers of rehabilitation during his decade-long stay at Arbour Hill Prison.


Murphy's release from jail has highlighted the issue of the monitoring of sex offenders in the community.

It has increased pressure on the Government to tighten controls and allow for more information to be provided on the movements of offenders released back into the outside world.

Current legislation prohibits gardai from divulging details of sex offenders living in the community. Although gardai have been closely monitoring Murphy for the past two days, they have admitted that keeping him under 24-hour watch in the long run is not practical.

It is understood that gardai were informed of dozens of unconfirmed sightings of Murphy yesterday as panic grips the country, the midlands in particular.