| 16.8°C Dublin

Children among six dead as killer goes on island rampage

A murder investigation is under way after a crazed knifeman went on the rampage on the Channel Island of Jersey killing six people, including three young children.

The attack spilled from a flat and into the street yesterday afternoon in an area described by a detective as "one of the safest places in the western world".

The victims -- two women, one man and three young children -- are believed to be Jersey residents but there identities have not been disclosed.

Locals said they were all members of the same family but police are yet to confirm what relationship they may have.

A 30-year-old man is under arrest at Jersey General Hospital where he is in a serious but stable condition after undergoing surgery. Inquiries were continuing to establish a motive but it is understood no one else was being sought.

Detective Superintendent Stewart Gull, who is leading the inquiry, said: "It goes without saying that when you are dealing with multiple deaths, of men and women and, in particular young children, you would be inhuman not to be shaken yourself."


He added: "Jersey is an incredibly safe island, probably one of the safest places in the western world."

The alarm was raised just after 3pm by a member of the public reporting a multiple stabbing at a flat at St Helier.

Five people were initially confirmed dead but a sixth victim -- a woman -- was later also pronounced dead at Jersey General Hospital.

The hospital's emergency department was closed for more than two hours due to the volume of victims being admitted, and staff were called in on days off to help stretched colleagues.

At the scene, witness Andre Thorpe said: "I saw police come running out with a child, it was a small child. I just saw the legs. They went off in an ambulance.

"When the paramedic came back her shirt was covered in blood. We have quick response ambulance cars and two pulled up, grabbed a kit and ran inside."

Mr Thorpe said he believed all the victims were members of the same family and a neighbour thought they were Polish, but police were unable to confirm this.