| 3.5°C Dublin

Chief suspect held over 'revenge' killing of innocent Daniel

The chief suspect for the murder of innocent bread man Daniel Treacy in Limerick was being questioned by gardai in the city today.

It is believed that officers may be able to charge the gunman at a sitting of Limerick's District Court in connection with the attack on the 35-year-old -- and he could possibly appear in court today.

The 29-year-old suspect was arrested in the Moyross area of the city at 10.15pm last night and is being held in Henry Street Garda Station.


The arrested suspect is a close associate of Darren Coughlan who was beaten to death on the northside of Limerick city in 2005.

His death was not linked to the Limerick gang feud.

Investigating gardai believe that the gunman intended to shoot a number of figures as part of his deranged revenge campaign for the 2005 murder of Mr Coughlan.

Additional members of the Garda's regional response unit have been drafted onto the Limerick streets from their base in Cork as local officers warned possible targets to take extra precautions. Mr Treacy's brother, Richard was one of three men jailed for six years for the manslaughter of Mr Coughlan after a trial in the Central Criminal Court in Dublin in July 2007.

Daniel Treacy was shot dead by the lone gunman, who was not masked, at a petrol station in the city yesterday morning. The victim sustained three gunshot wounds to the head. Gardai believe the assailant could have been high on drugs at the time of the shooting.

Despite initial fears about the involvement of a major crime gang involved in the city's deadly feud, investigations throughout yesterday led officers to a motive linked to the Coughlan killing.

However, one of the victim's other brothers, Owen Treacy, remains under round-the-clock protection as a result of providing key evidence against five men for the gangland murder of Limerick crime boss Kieran Keane.

Meanwhile, detectives are also continued to question another close associate of the suspected gunman.

He was detained in the city within hours of the shooting and was being questioned last night at Mayorstone Garda Station.

Mr Treacy, a married father of two, was shot in the head at the Topaz petrol station on the Ennis Road on the northside of the city shortly before 6.30am yesterday after he made a delivery to the shop.

The victim, who lived in Dromroe, Rhebogue, Limerick had begun his day's work when the attack took place.

The gunman ran up to him inside the shop and opened fire in front of staff.

Mr Treacy died at the scene.

Gardai were last night studying CCTV footage from the premises.

It is understood that the assailant fled from the area in a waiting red Toyota Corolla car.