| 17.4°C Dublin

Chemical cocktail woman's stomach removed

A WOMEN needed a life-saving operation to remove her stomach after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.

The 18-year-old, named in reports as Gabby Scanlan, began feeling breathless after consuming the drink during a night out with friends in Northern England on Thursday.

She then developed severe stomach pain and was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary at about 11pm.

Doctors diagnosed the girl with a perforated stomach and were forced to perform emergency surgery to remove her stomach to save her life, Lancashire Police said.

The girl remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition, the force added.

Officers have launched an investigation into the shocking incident.

A number of witnesses are being interviewed by police and the licensed premises has stopped selling drinks containing the chemical.

A Lancashire Police spokeswoman said: "Medical opinion is that this would have proved fatal had the operation not been carried out urgently."

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy