| 14.1°C Dublin

Celtic star in assault claim jets off on hols

Close

Celtic star Anthony Stoke

Celtic star Anthony Stoke

Celtic star Anthony Stoke

CELTIC football star Anthony Stokes has not yet spoken to gardai about allegations that he assaulted a man in a Dublin nightclub because he has gone to Barbados on holiday.

International striker Stokes (24) is understood to have flown from Dublin on Saturday to Edinburgh, and then left for the Caribbean island on Sunday.

Detectives spent much of yesterday trawling through CCTV from Buck Whaley's nightclub on Leeson Street.

 

Incident

Officers are now "very keen" to speak to Stokes, who spent a number of hours in the club before the incident.

"Gardai tried to call Mr Stokes yesterday but his phone was turned off," said a senior source.

Dubliner Anthony Bradley (42) was treated for a suspected broken nose and chipped teeth following a head-butting incident at the nightclub.

The popular Ballyfermot Elvis impersonator became involved in the incident after a pal of the soccer star accidentally spilled a drink on his coat at around 3am on Saturday.

Sources have confirmed that Mr Bradley did not make a specific complaint about Stokes in his statement to the investigation team.

A source said: "The injured party was not aware of Mr Stokes's identity. He was head-butted and suffered a broken nose and chipped teeth."

 

Tribute

Stokes (24) is no stranger to controversy. Last year, he was criticised after attending a tribute in honour of Alan Ryan, the murdered head of the Real IRA in Dublin.

On the day of his paramilitary funeral in Dublin last year, Stokes tweeted: "Thinking of you, Alan."

kfoy@herald.ie


Privacy