THE families of the victims of mass killer Anders Behring Breivik have expressed their anger after the emergence of a chilling CCTV image of the killer minutes before he detonated a car bomb in Oslo.
Security cameras captured the Norwegian far-right extremist, who has admitted killing 77 people, as he planted the bomb outside the prime minister's office two months ago.
A still photograph from the images published online is authentic and came from surveillance cameras at government headquarters, Oslo police spokesman Roar Hansen said.
The image shows Breivik in police uniform and armed with a pistol.
Arne Seland, a lawyer representing survivors of the Utoya massacre, said: "What is the point of having surveillance cameras if you do not respond to a man in that type of clothing who has a gun in his hand?
"It is the latest in a long line of incomprehensible things the police have done."
Mr Seland added that he thought the police could have prevented the July 22 atrocity had they confronted Breivik at the time the CCTV image was captured.
"We know that as soon as Breivik saw police, he surrendered. If someone had stopped him there, it would definitely have saved lives," Seland added.
On July 22, Breivik exploded a car bomb which killed eight people in Oslo's government district and then drove to the island of Utoya where he went on a shooting spree, killing 69 .
"The picture was taken by a monitoring camera in the government building," Mr Hansen said.
"It was enclosed in a confidential police report which had been given to lawyers assisting survivors and relatives of the victims."
Mr Hansen said the image had not been released by the police, but declined further comment.
Breivik faces his third session in court on September 19 when jurors will decide on the extension of his detention and whether he will still be held in isolation.
The 32-year-old has admitted to the killings but denies criminal guilt because he believes the massacre was necessary to save Norway and Europe.