| 17.3°C Dublin

Burning crisp bag 'killed dad and 2 children'

Kimberley had been working on a list of gifts she was planning to buy when her body was found.

Gardai spent three days at the home, named Forget Me Not cottage, investigating the deaths.

A post-mortem exam found all three had died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

A source confirmed to the Herald: "The investigators have looked at every aspect of this incident and believe the Wallworks were killed by fumes from the fire in the living room -- and that those fumes were caused by a blockage in the chimney created by a plastic crisp wrapper."







Cancer

Brave widow Susan Wallwork left her sick bed last night to attend a memorial service for her husband and two children, killed in a carbon monoxide poisoning 11 days ago.

Mrs Wallwork, who is battling cancer, wept as mourners paid tribute to husband Trevor (50) and stepchildren Kimberley (12) and nine-year-old Harry.

The ecumenical service took place at the Nazareth House chapel in Sligo town last night.

More than 400 people from Gurteen and the surrounding area attended the service.

Ms Wallwork sat just a few feet from the coffin of her husband and the two white coffins of her stepchildren for the service, which was conducted by Father Joe Caulfield and Methodist minister Stephen Taylor.

Holding her hand was her daughter Vicky Barnes, who had found the bodies at the family home in the townland of Moygara. Three of Mr Wallwork's brothers travelled from Lancashire for the service and one of them, Charlie, thanked the people of Gurteen for their support in recent days.

"Having now met the people of Gurteen, I can now understand why Trevor settled in this community," he said.

Kevin Gallagher, principal of Mullaghroe National School, where Harry and Kim were pupils, shook with emotion as he described how they had contributed to life there.

Harry, he said, loved to play 'cowboys' in the school playground and had become an accomplished bodhran player.

"A couple of weeks ago the teacher remarked that Harry was a natural player. Harry heard this and his face just lit up with pride," said Mr Gallagher.

His sister was always looking out for him, making sure he had everything he needed.

"A few weeks ago, Sligo Rovers brought the FAI Cup to the school and the first picture taken on the new school camera was of Kimberley and Harry lifting the cup.







Plunged

"I was going to give the picture to Kimberley as a present when she left the school next year, but now it will take pride of place in the school instead.

"Kimberley told me that she lived at Forget Me Not cottage. This is so apt because I will never forget her and Harry."

School friends of the children read prayers and mourners heard Father Caufield, say that "an accident so simple" had plunged "their nearest and dearest, family and friends into darkness".

The memorial service ended with the Gurteen choir singing Silent Night as mourners signed a condolence book.

Among them was 12-year-old Veronica Matczynska, from Tubberycurry, who had become friends with Kimberley when visiting her stepsister Vicky.

The Wallworks will be taken to England in two weeks' time for burial.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy