| 17.5°C Dublin

Bullet and a mobile phone found beside getaway car, trial told


Shooting victim Michael Barr

Shooting victim Michael Barr

Shooting victim Michael Barr

A bullet and a mobile phone were found beside the alleged getaway car after the fatal shooting of a pub manager in Dublin, the Special Criminal Court has heard.

Eamonn Cumberton (30), of Mountjoy Street, Dublin 7, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Michael Barr (35) in the Sunset House pub in the north inner city on April 25, 2016.

It is the prosecution's case that Mr Cumberton is "inextricably linked" to items recovered from a partially burnt-out car near the scene and that the items themselves were "inextricably linked" to the shooting.

The non-jury court heard evidence yesterday related to the alleged getaway car.

James Fogarty had previously told the court that on the night of the shooting, he saw a car drive up onto the path on Walsh Road, in Drumcondra, before three people got out.

There were "flames in the passenger side", the court heard.

Mr Fogarty told the prosecuting counsel Dominic McGinn yesterday that one of the people "might have dropped something shiny or bright... within a foot or so of the car".

He said that the people ran toward a silver car.

Under cross-examination, Mr Fogarty told Bernard Condon SC, for Mr Cumberton, that he did not see anybody else going over and opening the door of the car.

Detective Garda Michael Harkin told Mr McGinn that he drove to Walsh Road, where he saw a grey Audi with smoke coming out of the front passenger window.


The court heard that the detective extinguished the fire.

Det Gda Harkin said that he then noticed a phone ringing on the ground, close to the vehicle, and what appeared to be a 9mm bullet.

He said that he covered the bullet with a glove, to make sure it was not disturbed, and placed the phone in an evidence bag.

Earlier, Stephen Clifford told the court he was in the Sunset House on the night of the shooting, when he saw "two boys coming in with masks, putting a gun to [Mr Barr's] head".

"I thought it was a wind-up, until I saw him [Mr Barr] at my feet," he said.

Assistant State Pathologist Dr Micheal Curtis told the court Mr Barr died from seven gunshot wounds, five to the head and one each to the shoulder and leg.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Tony Hunt, presiding.